Search This Blog

27 September 2016

Finding a Comfort Zone in Prague #HogsAbroad in Czech Republic



For my study abroad, I chose to spend a month over the summer in Prague, Czech Republic. I chose Prague, because I wanted to go somewhere out of my comfort zone and experience a place that isn’t your typical European tourist destination. It was hands down the best decision I ever made. It was my first time out of the country so I didn’t know much about the rest of Europe, but other people who had been told me Prague was their favorite and unlike any other European city. So I felt lucky to have chosen Prague.

From what I had read before going, most sources said that Czech people weren’t very friendly, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I felt very welcome and people were practically as nice as they are here. The language barrier also wasn’t much of an issue. I spent a whole month in the Czech Republic and only learned about four Czech words. I didn’t meet a person in Prague that didn’t speak English, and the only time we ever ran into someone who didn’t was when we went to smaller towns around Prague. Even if someone didn’t speak English we were always able to communicate some way, so it really wasn’t a problem.

I personally liked going on an external program, I went with USAC, because I liked meeting other college students from all around the US. I lived in an apartment with four other people but it was far from crowded and I even got my own room. Two of my roommates were from South Carolina and the other two were from Los Angeles which I thought was very cool. 

I attended class only Tuesday and Thursday for 4 hours. I really like my class which was like an art history class, because we would lecture for two hours and then we would go on a mini field trip for the rest of the time to a place that was a good example of art or architecture in Prague. I really liked this class because I got free admission with my class to places I already wanted go to anyway like the Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral. Our teacher also took us to places that weren’t as touristy, but they were what made my trip more personal and unique than anyone else who had been to Prague.
                 
My friends and I quickly learned that Prague had many incredible Italian restaurants. The best thing I ever ate was at this Italian restaurant near Old Town called Pepe Nero. We shared a caprese salad that had the freshest mozzarella that I have ever tasted. I don’t think we could even speak because we were overwhelmed with how with how good it was!
--
Don't miss out on your own study abroad experience! 
Find out more about Anna's USAC Prague program at http://usac.unr.edu/study-abroad-programs/czech-republic/prague 

Search for study abroad opportunities like these in over 50 other countries: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search