Pt. 1 – The Quarry
When the bus came to a stop, I looked out the window and saw this beautifully unique art compound called the Quarry. Not sure what we had in store, we all filed off the bus and searched for either the bathroom or the box of fruit Emily always has. After we had our apples and bananas, we were greeted by these very kind and enthusiastic Māori women. After some introductions and a background on the art compound, we were led to an old, open building that appeared sturdy but…scrappy.
There were leaks coming through the saggy sealing, and layout chaos, yet this was the kind of place that has a way of inspiring creativity, it was beautiful in its individuality. After receiving the instructions on our first step of our art project, we began cutting up paper in a way I hadn’t done since I was in grade school – by folding up the paper and cutting it on the creases. After some very imprecise sketching and precise cutting, I unfolded my paper and had to smile, as it actually came out as something I could be proud of. We then moved from this building across the compound to another building with ink presses in it. I must have looked bored because soon after entering the room, Emily handed me her phone and recruited me to take pictures for a while, so I took a break from the action and tried to catch other people’s expressions as their art came to life. Once it was finally my turn, I moved over to the ink press and turned my scrap paper cut out into an abstract print.

At this point, I thought I was done with the art project, but I was very wrong. Once everyone had finished, we moved back to the first building and learned the steps of turning our prints into Poi’s (which are balls at the end of strings that, historically, were used to strengthen the wrists of the Māori people, but now are used in their performing arts).
After some more cutting, braiding, stuffing, and tying, I finally had 2 Poi, and was very happy with how they came out. Taking some time to relax and do an art project was fun, but what I really got out of my morning at the Quarry was the chance to talk to and work with the 3 incredible artists that helped us throughout the day.
The enthusiasm to teach us about Māori culture and art was electric, but the kindness and warm-heartedness they showed us was almost overwhelming. Maybe it gives an insight into their culture, or their lifestyle, or maybe it’s related to living in this country, but there’s something genuine about how people here treat others, something I want to experience more of.

Pt. 2 – Waitangi Treaty Grounds
Back on the bus we went, and back to my attempted fetal position sleep across the two bus seats I had. This stretch of road became much more aggravating as an alarm started going off on the bus (apparently a loose wire causing this), and off and on for the next hour or so, we listened to a loud whistle as we all tried to catch as much sleep as possible. As we approached our next destination, Emily pointed out the penguins hanging out near the water right outside the bus. This seemed to perk everyone’s heads up and started some chatter for the last 5 minutes of our drive. Another stop, another filing out of the group, and another search for the nearest bathrooms and snack box. Now we are at one of the most historic and meaningful places in New Zealand, the Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
These grounds are where New Zealand’s founding document was signed. After some solo exploring, we met up with our tour guide and walked the grounds, hearing about the history of battles, betrayals, and the repetitive removal of a flag. Our tour guide was as entertaining as he was knowledgeable, and he really brought to life the stories he was verbally illustrating. At the end of the tour, we were given the splendid opportunity of being invited (with many other tourists visiting the museum) into a Marae, which is a very spiritual place in the Māori culture.
I can vouch for the rest of the IFSA group that the disrespect that was shown by the other tourists during the incredible performance put on in the Marae was infuriating. After being told explicitly not to take photos/videos once in the Marae, people proceeded to do so anyway. Although their intentions may have been positive, the Māori people believe the carvings inside the Marae to be sacred, and they are, quite literally, recording their fallen elders through these photographs and videos. Being that ancestry is a crucial part of the Māori culture, this is profoundly disrespectful. To put a positive spin on this situation, I will take it as an opportunity to learn, and ensure that I understand the importance of places like this in my future travels, as to not make the same mistake that many of these visitors made.

Part 3 – The Rock Adventure Cruise
This was the moment we had all been waiting for, after a day of learning about Māori art and culture, and the history that happened right here in the Bay of Islands, we got the opportunity to cruise it. In two trips, the captain and one of the crew members took us from the dock to this giant, blue, floating cabin on water. Once we got on the boat and shown our rooms (somehow I wound up having a queen sized bed to myself), we had time to explore this wild vessel.
A pool table, bar, decks, kayaks, fishing rods, a paintball gun, a range of musical instruments, a fireplace, and plenty of games decorated this floating party boat. After a cup of tea and game of pool, it was time for us to enter our first competition, who could shoot the plastic duck we were towing behind us with the paintball gun. Each person only got 3 shots, and all but two of us missed all 3. Right at the conclusion of that game is when people started to feel a little motion sick. After thinking it would be a good idea to go stand on the deck in front of the boat and watch us go over seemingly massive waves, I quickly joined the motion sick crowd on the back porch for a little fresh air and sips of ginger beer to calm the stomach.
Luckily, the rough water didn’t last long and, before we knew it, we had set anchor in a beautiful cove where we would spend the night. Here’s where the fishing poles came out, as someone had to catch dinner. The crew, knowing the fish and water as well as anyone, started hitting sea urchins into the water to attract the fish and get them biting, and the lures enter next. “Fish on,” yelled the first lucky person who had a bite, followed by the next and the next. This was certainly the most successful fishing adventure I had ever been a part of, even if we had to throw most of them back due to their size. To show respect for the fish, when you’d catch your first one, you would give it a kiss (this made for some entertaining photos).
As the sun sinks behind the landscape, and darkness begins to appear, the crew cuts some of our catches up into sashimi and we crowd around the plate like vultures around a kill. The crew grilled up some veggie burgers and brats, and we snacked on the fresh fish, and the night began. After a very satisfying dinner, we had sparked up the fireplace and had the option to go on a nighttime kayak ride. This was not an opportunity I was going to miss, so I signed up and was put in the 3rd and final group to go out. After patiently waiting, I finally was able to throw on a life jacket and board a kayak.
As our group is led away from the boat, the peacefulness of this place started to really sink in. Once we were all circled around and quiet, the crewmember that was out with us told us to move our hand around in the water, and there it begins, a beautiful light show surrounded the movement of our hands. Apparently this is due to a natural phenomenon where the phosphorescence in the water charges from the sun during the day and releases light when disturbed by movement. After having our minds blown by this strange act of nature, we laid back on our kayaks and quietly stargazed. I could have stayed there all night, but there was the need to get back to the boat and continue the night. Right after returning to the boat, we all decided it was a good time for a midnight swim, so we jumped right back in the water, captain and all, and swam around, amazed by the phosphorescence and ignoring what could have been swimming below us.
After retreating back to the fireplace on the boat and roasting some marshmallows, we spent the rest of the night playing cards, Jenga, and having deep conversations. The next morning came awfully early, but nothing will wake you up like some tea, oats, and snorkeling. After feeding some fish by hand, and holding a unicorn looking fish, we all swam back to the boat and took off towards our last destination, Motuarohia. This island name translates to the island of love/loveliness, and I can certainly see why.

It was “one of those places in this world that stimulates a moment of true presence, where everything else quiets and all that matters is right now” (Instagram: @colin_murchison). By this I mean that it was so beautiful that you couldn’t help but be overwhelmed. The time on the island was consumed by hiking (tramping as they say here), kayaking, swimming, playing volleyball, and laying on the beach. It’s moments like this that I search for in this world, where I can recharge and reconnect. The Rock Adventure Cruise was truly a great experience, and you can tell the captain and crew were very passionate about showing us this magical place and providing us with a great weekend.
Thank you to the people at the Quarry Arts Center (quarryarts.org), to the tour guide and performers at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds (Waitangi.org.nz), and to the captain and crew at The Rock Adventure Cruises (rocktheboat.co.nz) for the great weekend, and of course to Emily and the rest of IFSA-Butler (ifsa-butler.org) for putting it all together and making it possible for us.
--
Read more from Colin at https://planestrainsandtravelsustained.wordpress.com/
To find out more about the IFSA-Butler program at the University of Auckland, visit http://www.ifsa-butler.org/university-of-auckland.html
To find out more about the IFSA-Butler program at the University of Auckland, visit http://www.ifsa-butler.org/university-of-auckland.html