Do I have too much enthusiasm if I am
already packed for my study abroad in July?
Not only am I thrilled and honored about receiving the Gilman, but also
excited about what this means for my future.
I would have never had the opportunity if it were not for the support of
the Gilman Scholarship. Gilman made the
application process meaningful and easily handled due to the checklist provided
on the website and the helpful support staff ensuring all documents are
correctly submitted.
What are you doing in the summer?
I will be conducting biological
research for the Sakaerat Bioshpere Reserve in Thailand. Our team will be documenting Slow Loris and
Pangolin movement throughout the area in hope to aid in the survival of each of
the species. In addition we will be documenting
all herpetofauna species in the area and providing outreach to many of the
schools that are in close proximity as well as the schools coming to tour the
research center. Working with the
children in the immediate area will be a great way to enrich the nearby
communities about the important biodiversity at the reserve along with their
conservation efforts.
What do you think made you a good Gilman candidate?
All of this great work will translate
into official training as a woman in STEM (science, technology, engineering and
mathematics). As a future science
teacher, this experience will enhance my field skills in ways that will in turn
enrich my classroom. This experience is
invaluable, and I have Gilman to thank.
What will your follow-up project be about?
Due to my close work with the area
schools as an intern and substitute teacher, my follow-up project involves
talking about my experience abroad and how Gilman made it all possible. I plan to help motivate students that may not
think they have an opportunity to study abroad.
There are incredible opportunities for young students and it is my hope
to encourage them to explore the world.
I have contacted many of the area schools and plan on making presentations
to students as well as attending University events when needed. I am already
planning and outlining different strategies in order to maximize my impact in
country, which will ultimately maximize my outreach upon my return.
---
About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program) offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.
About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program) offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.