Search This Blog

17 June 2016

J'adore le Loire #HogsAbroad

Bonjour mes amis!
I have not posted in a while, and for that I apologize. Suddenly all of my classes decided to become real and have midterms, so I have been stuck studying for a bit. In fact, by writing this I am procrastinating my photography midterm project. Oh well. A 10 out of 20 is a passing grade here, and a 14 is an A, so I can’t find it in myself to be particularly concerned.
I spent last weekend on a planned program excursion in the Loire Valley. I think it is important to note that I had to google what the Loire Valley was immediately after ISA told me they were taking me there. It isn’t a place that I have ever really heard of, which is such a shame because I absolutely loved it!
The Loire River is the longest river in France, and most of the country’s chateaux (royal mansions) are built on or around it. Therefore, our trip to the region was primarily composed of seeing giant castles. Since exploring castles is the thing I excel at most in life, you can imagine how much I enjoyed this trip.
I am splitting this post into two parts because it is SO long! So this will be day one, and day two will be up shortly!
We left Paris at 7:30 a.m., which is impossibly early. Landry and I were actually a few minutes late to our meeting point because we got on the tram going the opposite direction of the way we needed to go … whoops. It was entirely my fault and I blame it entirely on how early it was.
It took us somewhere around two or three hours to get to the first chateau, Chateau de Blois, because the highways we intended to take were underwater. We didn’t mind the long drive that much though, because we all took much-needed maps.
Chateau de Blois was a bit of a letdown. We were supposed to visit Chateau de Chambord instead, which I’m told is much more impressive, but it is also flooded right now. SHOUTOUT TO FRANCE FOR TRYING ITS VERY HARDEST TO RUIN OUR LIVES. Anyways, Chateau de Blois was fairly small and just honestly not that cool. Well, it's not that it wasn't cool, it just wasn't as cool as I expected.



But I did take this cool pictures in a throne:

It was great practice for when Prince Harry comes a-calling for my hand in marriage.
Then we ate a yummy lunch in the town of Blois, which was a super cute little town.
except that ugly antenna. That's not cute.
Because our drive to Loire took longer than anticipated, we were a little rushed, so we hurried back onto the bus for our drive to Chateau de Chenonceau.

Some of you may remember that I visited a very lovely place called Villa d’Este when I was in Rome last summer, and I raved and raved about how wonderful it was. It was probably my favorite thing I saw in Rome.
Well, it happened again. I just have a thing for beautiful buildings secluded in magnificent gardens, and thus it is hardly a surprise that Chateau de Chenonceau stole my heart. Just look at it guys:


It even has a MOAT.
The only real bummer about this was that they have a maze on the grounds and I couldn’t get lost in it because it was flooded. GO FIGURE FRANCE HAHAHAHA YOU’RE THE WORST.

flooded gardens
flooded maze. hashtag depressed.

History lesson: the poorly lit office/desk above belonged to Catherine de Medici, Queen of France. She literally ran the country from that desk right there. Neat, huh?

More history: This chateau is also called the Chateau des Dames because it is famous for having housed six women that were all very important to France in their time. It all started when Henry II gave the mansion to his mistress, Diane de Poitiers, as a gift. Naturally Henry's wife, the aforementioned Catherine de Medici, was annoyed, so the second Henry died she seized it from Diane. While Catherine lived there, she facilitated the first-ever fireworks display in France in honor of her son's coronation.

When Catherine died, the chateau passed to her daughter-in-law, Louise de Lorraine. Louise's husband was assassinated shortly after, and she spent the rest of her days wandering the castle in her mourning clothes. Her bedroom, shown below, was forever black.

Later on, the chateau was bought by Claude Dupin. His wife, Louise Dupin, opened a literary salon there that included visits from such famous writers as Voltaire, Montesquieu and Rousseau.

The chateau changed hands a couple times after that. It was used as a hospital in World War II and served as the perfect escape from the Nazi-occupied zone to the free zone in World War II because it was situated right on the border. 

History lesson over.




Maybe it's weird, but I was seriously in love with the kitchen. Most chateaux, castles, palaces, whatever don't let you see the kitchens because they think it won't be interesting. WRONG. It was so cool to see all the old appliances, the butcher table, the ancient pots and pans. It's just a neat side of history that we rarely get to see. There were probably more servants in this kitchen on any given day than there were royalty in the upper rooms anyways.


Ireland and I had to rush through the gardens because we accidentally spent too much time in the castle and our bus was about to leave. It was leaving so hurriedly because we had a very important appointment at 4:30 … a wine tasting!
"Cave Degustation Visite"

#vineyardselfie
sooo many bottles of wine. This is sparkling white wine if I remember correctly. It's basically champagne, but only sparkling wine from the Champagne region can be legally called champagne. The French are very serious about labeling their wine.
They put the bottles in those weird boxes and slowly rotate them so that the sediment from the fermentation process falls into the neck of the bottle so they can get rid of it.


We were at the Plou & Fils winery, which just means Plou & Sons. It has been passed down through the Plou family for generations.
After the winery, we drove to our hotel in Tours. I had seen Tours on a map before, but didn’t know a single thing about it. Again, that’s a crying shame because Tours is literally so awesome. 
We dragged all our crap into the hotel and got sorted into our rooms (Ireland was my temporary roomie for the weekend) and then we headed out into the city.


These wooden buildings are neat because Paris used to be full of them, but its almost impossible to find one now. They were all taken down following the Great Fire of London in 1666 for safety reasons.





Tours just has a great atmosphere. It is full of people because it’s the biggest city in the Loire Valley, but it is so much more chill than Paris and was just so much fun. Everyone was just sitting in Place de la Plumereau, eating and drinking and having the time of their lives.

We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant and it was delicious. I missed pasta. Then we got gelato because I’m all about those themed meals.
Ireland & Gelato & Me
We walked around a little more and I took some photos for my night photography assignment.


Then we headed back to the hotel, where I basked in the glow of reliable Wi-Fi and endless hot water. (We’re only allowed 5-7 minute showers in our homestay, because the hot water heaters in Paris are TINY.)

That was day one in the Loire Valley! It was a great great day. I will post my recap of day two shortly.

Au revoir!
Sydne
--
Read more from Sydne at http://theyesgirlwrites.blogspot.com/
To find out more about the ISA Paris, France: Arts & French Language at the Institut Catholique de Paris program, check out http://studiesabroad.com/paris