Search This Blog

09 March 2016

Jorge Vega: Perseverance Pays Off #HogsAbroad #Gilman #GSIE

Jorge was awarded a Gilman Study Abroad Scholarship
to study business in Sevilla, Spain during Summer 2016
My name is Jorge Vega, a student of International Business in Economics at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I live in Springdale, Arkansas, but grew up in New York until the age of 12. I come from an immigrant family from Ecuador. This past February, I was notified, after months of feeling anxious and excited, that I was selected as a Gilman Scholarship Recipient to meet my degree requirement of study abroad, walk the graduation stage in May and head off to Sevilla, Spain days after!

My college experience was not the easiest. In fact, I didn’t receive my first scholarship until junior year. I did not have the knowledge about the resources available to students like myself, who are often underrepresented and come from working-class families. At first, I was scared that I would not be able to complete my study abroad requirement. For months, I considered trying my best in finding an international business internship where I currently intern, Tyson Foods World Headquarters. 

I couldn’t imagine myself traveling overseas, and always thought of it as a luxury that my family and I could not afford. My mother, like many immigrant women, works extremely hard and sacrifices for my family by cleaning homes. Without her, I would not be the man that I am. 

However, under our circumstances, studying abroad seemed far beyond our reach. That is until I learned about the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship, targeted at students just like myself! I applied for the early deadline submission last fall, something I highly recommend. My best advice would be for students to allow themselves plenty of times to gather all the necessary documents, ask questions, be bold and ask for help whenever needed! The people at the Gilman Scholars program, as well as study abroad offices at higher education institutions and organizations that specialize in study abroad, truly care about diversity in the study abroad experience. 

Traveling around the world was always my dream, which is what influenced my career choice. I want to learn about international business and culture in the beautiful country of Spain. Now, I am closer than ever to fulfilling this dream and beginning my journey as a young professional, and it is all thanks to the Gilman Scholarship!
    
My follow-up project will include writing about my experience for my study abroad office and reaching out to my community college to speak on the opportunities for study abroad for under-served students. I want to emphasize the power of telling one’s story, proudly and humbly, to contribute to the diversity of this beautiful country and to spread this ideal throughout the rest of the world. 
---
About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program)  offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.