Search This Blog

24 April 2014

My Incredible Study Abroad Experience #hogsabroad

Amy James participated in the U of A Community Development in Belize trip in the summer of 2013.

How and why did you choose your specific program(s)?
·         When I began to look into study abroad, I didn’t have very much travelling experience. I became interested in the study to Belize because there wasn’t a language barrier and I thought that a faculty led experience would be helpful. Going to Belize is three weeks in country, which was a perfect length of time! All of these reasons helped me to feel comfortable in my first study abroad and made for an incredible experience!

How did your experiences abroad contribute to your overall education, especially in your field?
·         Working in Belize provided learning opportunities and hands on experience that I could not have gotten from studying in a classroom. One of the most valuable things I learned was how to understand the importance of health disparities. When speaking with a patient in Belize, it is a completely different experience than at home. I learned how to understand the differences in culture and general health knowledge, which is something that I know will be applicable to my future career.

Why would you suggest your program(s) to others?
·         Studying abroad taught me so much in just a short amount of time! Even though you may spend an entire semester studying for a certain class, the skills I gained from Belize in three weeks are irreplaceable. I was able to receive upper level honors biology credit, but there will never be a good way to classify what is learned when studying in another country. This study abroad was relaxed, but you could make the experience be all that you wanted it to be. You can learn about medicine practices and education from an entirely new perspective, all while experiencing a unique culture.

For information about the programs discussed in Amy’s interview, contact the Study Abroad Office (studyabr@uark.edu)!