Search This Blog

22 April 2014

A Moment with a Study Abroad Veteran: Kelly Williams #hogsabroad


Kelly Williams, Nursing Major
U of A Health Teams Abroad in Sweden

U of A Tanzania: The Political, Social, and Natural History of East Africa

How and why did you choose your specific program(s)?
·         I choose my program because I knew I wanted to do something short-term, in the summer, and with faculty I could make really good connections with here in Fayetteville!

How did your experiences abroad contribute to your overall education, especially in your field?
·         My trip to Tanzania contributed to my education by giving me an open mind. I wouldn't say it was exactly related to my career path (Nursing) but experiencing a different culture in such an interesting way broadened my perspective on how I approach dealing with all types of people, an invaluable experience. As for my trip to Sweden, I realized I did not know very much about the United States healthcare system so what better way to learn about it then spending a month comparing it to Sweden?! Even though the trip was directly meaningful to my career path, the most meaningful experiences came from experiencing the culture.

Why would you suggest your program(s) to others?
·         Because the programs I went on were in the summer, I didn't have to worry about fitting them into my schedule, which was fantastic! I also ended up with extra credits that I could try a minor very easily if I wanted to. Faculty led trips are incredible because you work out all the details through the University (no third parties!), you get a chance to know some incredible faculty in a different way that is not possible strictly on campus, and best of all, you get to experience a country with people that know it best in a very unique way! How many people can say they saw the big 5 in one day on the Serengeti? Or had a traditional Swedish feast in the home of a Swede? Or hiked up to the first base camp of Mount Kilimanjaro? Or trekked with chimpanzees where Jane Goodall did her research? Or lived in a hostel/boat for a week in Stockholm? Studying abroad provides such an amazing opportunity to further your education in a unique way that takes learning outside the classroom and into so many different cultures. Long story short, it rocks!

For information about the programs discussed in Kelly’s interview, contact the Study Abroad Office (studyabr@uark.edu)!