Search This Blog

26 July 2022

Top Two Tips #HogsAbroad in Denmark

Hi all! My name is Avery Townsell, and I have just completed my 4th year at the Fay Jones School of Architecture + Design. I'm an Interior Design major currently studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark.


I'd like to take this post to share two of the things I have learned over the past five weeks. Most, if not all, of these things have helped me enjoy life a bit more, and I would like them to help you too!

1). Just do it! (not a Nike sponsor)

Studying abroad in a new country with a non-U of A program can be intimidating in multiple ways. Personally, one of the most nerve-wracking things was not having a dependable friend to explore with. I am relatively introverted, so the idea of "biting the bullet" or "just go do it" is what helped me kill two birds with one stone, I guess. It helped me push myself to leave my room and go to the common area, where there are always at least two to three people hanging out, to meet new people. And when there wasn't anybody around, it helped me learn to be comfortable and confident with exploring on my own. Basically, don't let anything keep you from experiencing something you might not get another chance to see. So go out, do, see, and try!

2). Don’t let anything get you down!

I do apologize for the cliche catchphrases, but I stand by them! This is potentially your only chance to study abroad, so don't let anything or anybody ruin it. My arrival in Copenhagen was a bit of a hassle that ended with me arriving hours after my original arrival time and with my luggage missing. As a chronic over-packer with a strong attachment to my things, you can imagine this was not fun for me. I was missing my luggage for eight days, with no clear information on where it was. It's been my dream to come to Europe for years, and the first few days, I couldn't even enjoy myself as I was too stressed out over my luggage. I pretty much had to mentally slap myself as a reminder of where I was and what I was lucky enough to be doing. I had to remind myself that the time I have is limited and to enjoy every second. I couldn't let myself waste time over something I couldn't control. And hey, I’ve learned what my essentials are of what I truly do and don’t need (haha).

Copenhagen is an amazing city! Being here has helped me develop more as a person, if only because this is the first time I've been alone. And being alone isn't always a bad thing. It helps you become more self-assured and settled in your skin.

--

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/