Search This Blog

22 July 2022

Modern Art & Juliet #HogsAbroad in England

Today we went to visit the Tate Modern Art Museum. I was actually really excited to tour this museum as I have an immense love for art and find modern styles to be the most obscure, yet intriguing.

The first piece that really stood out to me was A series of images following one from the other. Eine Aufeinander folgende Reihe von Bildern 2018 by Silke Otto-Knapp.

Eine Aufeinander folgende Reihe von Bildern

The piece is made using watercolors and makes frequent references to ballet and modern dance. Being that I was a dancer and did ballet for over sixteen years, I was immediately drawn to this huge piece of artwork. In the gallery, there was a film running of the choreographies that inspired this piece, including Stavinsky’s Les Noces and Rainer’s Continuous Project Altered Daily. In addition, the whole piece is made using a single watercolor pigment, despite it looking like multiple shades of paint.

a preponderance of aboriginal blood

The next piece that really stood out to me was a preponderance of aboriginal blood 2005 by Judy Watson. These pages were all official documents from the Queensland State Archives overlaid with stains of blood to represent the systemic prejudice and violence that was result of these laws.

In total, there are 16 pages all of official discriminatory confronting’s towards the aboriginal people of Australia. When I walked past this piece, it forced me to stop and look at it because in a way it is so brutal, and purposely so.


After the morning at the Museum, I went and got Ramen for lunch, (yes again 😊) at a place called Tonkatsu. After that I went and walked around China Town, which has become one of my favorite spots to roam about in London. I stopped for some bubble tea at a place called Happy Lemon and got a Passion Fruit Green Tea with Lychee Jelly, and it was perfect and refreshing on a rainy day.

Tonkatsu

Happy Lemon

Later that evening, I got to see & Juliet starring Keala Settle and omg… just read my review because I loved this show immensely!!

& Juliet

--

Human Development and Family Sciences major and Theatre minor Hailey Anders spent the Summer 2022 term on the Theatre in London program with support from the Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and from Bumpers College. Read more from Hailey here

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at 
https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/