Search This Blog

31 May 2022

The Do's and Don'ts of Packing for a Study Abroad Trip #HogsAbroad in Florence

Hey! My name is Katie Fowler. I am a Walton College Honors Student who is studying Marketing. I participated in the AIFS StudyAbroad Program in Florence, Italy during the Spring 2022 semester.

The anticipation leading up to a study abroad program is almost unbearable. One of the things I did to pass the time was creating an extensive packing list. I wanted to be prepared for whatever weather or event I may face during my program. In the weeks leading up to my departure I researched the average weather in Italy so I could accurately pack the clothing that I would need. I also took that time to expand my wardrobe so that I could better “fit in” with the fashion trends in Florence and not immediately be pegged as a tourist. Over the weeks I slowly took inventory of the items I wanted to bring with me. I tried to keep my packing list as minimal as possible so I would have extra space in my bags for souvenirs. Now that I am back home after the most incredible three months of my life, I can definitively say what was helpful and what was hurtful while packing.

My first piece of advice is to keep things simple. I was only brought one checked bag, one carry on, and one personal item with me to Italy. I wanted to make things easier on myself because I knew I would have to carry all my luggage up four flights of stairs. It was also helpful only having a small amount of luggage while getting around the airport. My main goal was bringing the things I needed while still being self-sufficient.

The key to packing is making your clothes as small as possible. One of the best ways to do this is to roll your clothes. You can find many tutorials online on how to do this, but simply it is slightly folding your clothes and then rolling them up as tight as you can. Then you can place all these items in your suitcase, and it takes up much less space than by folding your clothes. I was able to fit almost all my clothes in one half of my checked bag by using this packing method. In the other half of my checked bag, I put a few pairs of jeans, my shoes, toiletries, and miscellaneous items. I even had room to spare in my bag after I finished packing, and this was without the expandable portion in use.

Another thing I did to cut down on how much I packed was only bringing clothes I knew I would wear. I didn’t want to take up valuable space in my bags on clothing I would never wear. I also only brought four pairs of shoes with me to Italy. I packed two pairs of sandals for warmer climates, one pair of sneakers, and one pair of boots. Shoes take up the most space in your bag, so try to consolidate them and bring only what you need. The shoes I brought were versatile and comfortable, so I was able to wear them with many different outfits and circumstances. It’s also no surprise that you are going to want to purchase clothes while abroad. Take this into consideration when you are packing. Leave plenty of space if you know you are going to want to expand your wardrobe. Another piece of advice is to pack staple items that you can layer and re-wear to form different outfits. One item of clothing can become so many different outfits which saves space when packing. Something to keep in mind when packing is that many things will not need to be packed for your return trip. For instance, I used up the majority of my toiletries while I was abroad. I had a large box of menstrual products and a large box of face masks that I used which gave me more space to pack souvenirs.

By far the best decision I could have made was bringing a backpack. Both my carry on and my personal items were backpacks of different sizes. I was able to use my personal item as my school backpack while in Italy and my carry on was beneficial for travelling. Many airlines in Europe, such as Ryan Air, only allow you to bring one personal item on the plane. If you would like to bring a carry on you have to purchase it for an extra cost. For travelers wanting to save money its best to stick with the personal item. I was able to use my carry-on backpack as a personal item on every flight I went on. I used the rolling packing method to fit everything I would need for the trip in my bag and was able to shove my bag under my seat. This was incredibly helpful because not only did I save money, but it was so much easier getting around the places I was travelling with only a backpack. Walking is the main form of transportation in Europe, at least it was for me. It would have been miserable lugging a suitcase around on the bumpy cobblestone streets. With a backpack you have your hands free and can walk with little hassle.

Lastly, I just want to mention a few things I packed that came in handy on more than one occasion. The most important thing was a first aid kit. I bought a premade kit from Welly right before I left the states. It included bandages, triple antibiotic ointment, cortisone cream, and hand sanitizer. This was so useful for blisters, cuts, scrapes, and minor injuries for myself and many of my classmates while I was abroad. I also packed plenty of ibuprofen and allergy medicine which proved to be helpful. Another thing I would advise bringing is a rain jacket and an umbrella. You obviously don’t want to be caught out in the rain and get soaked in the process. Finally, my favorites items I brought were my cameras. I brought three different types just so I could get a variety of photos while I was abroad. Make sure you are capturing so much of your experience. This way you can look back and remember the exact moments, friends, meals, trips, and fun that you had. The easiest way to capture this is with your phone. I have so many photos and videos from my time abroad that I will cherish forever. I also took more professional type photos with my DSLR camera. I mainly used this when I was travelling or visiting a place for the first time. I just wanted to make sure I had good quality photos I could share and look at for years to come. The other cameras I brought were more for my own enjoyment. The first was a Fujifilm instant camera. These are fun because you’re able to have the photos immediately. The second was a disposable camera. The fun thing about these is that you have no idea what the photos are going to look like until you get them developed. I have yet to get mine back, so the anticipation is still killing me. My point is that you want to capture as much as you can of your time during your study abroad program. Don’t be ashamed to lug around three different types of cameras (plus your phone). I can assure you; you won’t be the only one. Plus, this is not only fun for you, but for the friends you will make along the way.

I hope these tips have helped and I encourage everyone to study abroad. It will truly be the best time of your life!

--
Marketing major Katie Fowler spent the Spring 2022 term in Florence with AIFS with support from the Office of Study Abroad Scholarship and Walton College.


You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at 
https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/