Search This Blog

07 February 2019

Featured Destination: Germany

Photo courtesy of Natalie Miller
Interested in study abroad, but don't know where to start? Each month we'll feature a new destination, and February's highlighted country is Germany!

Nestled in the heart of the European Union, Germany boasts a long and rich cultural history mixing the modern and the classic. Germany has been called “the land of poets and thinkers” and is one of the top destinations for study abroad. Program options are available for students from all majors. Additional funding is available for study abroad, and most semester scholarships and financial aid may be used toward study abroad.

Photo courtesy of Natalie Miller
PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
Sam M. Walton College of Business
College of Engineering
International Internships
View from the dorm, Regensburg
SCHOLARSHIPS
There are many resources and scholarships available for study abroad. Many scholarships and financial aid that students currently receive may be used to study abroad. There are also many scholarship opportunities specifically for study abroad available through the University of Arkansas and outside organizations. For more information visit studyabroad.uark.edu/funding. And, be sure to explore these scholarship programs:
WHAT FORMER STUDENTS HAVE SAID
Photo courtesy of Connor Heo
"I decided to work towards studying abroad in Germany due to their reputation in engineering sciences and also a wide range of student opportunities. There is a well established system for integrating students into the workforce, and companies are always looking for more minds to work with, so there are numerous chances for those willing to search for them. The culture shock is definitely something to consider, and it can become all to easy to just befriend other international students (which isn't a bad thing). Making friends with German natives is definitely not impossible, however, and finding a social place will provide ample chances to make new friends!

"For students looking specifically to study in Germany, I recommend pushing their language skills, especially with listening and reading. You'll find that people are generally willing to speak English, but there will be a lot of mail, bills, textbooks, etc. that will only come in German, and it's good not to feel intimidated by that. Also, it can be quite scary at first if you want to order food or just ask for directions and it all comes in German. I definitely had my fair share of "blackout" moments in my first few weeks! As a last piece of advice, I would speak with the faculty ASAP, as they love helping students study abroad!" -Connor Heo, senior German & Mechanical Engineering major, summer 2016 studying German at the Language Institute in Holzkirchen and Academic Year 2017-2018 studying German & Engineering through U of A Exchange: Technische Universitaet Darmstadt.

Photo courtesy of Natalie Miller
"I chose to go to Germany because I felt that my first experience abroad should involve quite a bit of culture and history. My host city was Berlin and it seemed like the city's history was never ending. Germany is a beautiful country, but I now know Berlin in the winter is not the same as Munich in the spring. I'm happy I chose Berlin for my first experience abroad because the people were amazing, the cultural experience I had really helped me grow and opened my eyes to how many cultures there are to experience and appreciate. If you're considering Germany, do your research! Know about the city or town you'd be staying in, what is near that area, and most of all while abroad take your time to experience your host town. When I went abroad I thought I'd be spending every minute catching planes and trains to other cities and countries, but in the end I took 2 weekend trips to other countries and I spent the rest of my time (I was there for 4 weeks!) in Berlin and I am so glad that I did!!" -Natalie Miller, senior Human Nutrition & Hospitality Innovation major, January Intersession 2018 studying sociology through AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin.

3 EASY STEPS TO STUDY ABROAD
So, what's next?
  1. Drop by Monday-Friday between 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. to learn about program options and funding opportunities.
  2. Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your academic plan. 
  3. Schedule an appointment with your Study Abroad Advisor. 
--
Check out these 5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Germany.

For additional information visit studyabroad.uark.edu or contact us at studyabr@uark.edu, or 479-575-7582.