Search This Blog

01 February 2019

Sure I’ll go to Dinner (Week 2) #HogsAbroad in Hong Kong

First let me clarify, yes this is my third week in Hong Kong, however, this is the second week of class. :)

This week was a long week. I basically had a sinus infection all week which made this week go that much longer. Classes were pretty good; the classes here all have a large project so we selected our groups this week. One thing to note was that most classes have little homework, so no “mylabsplus” or “connect”. The last comment on the classes for the week is to wait to buy books until this week as you may not need some.

On to daily life here at CityU.

The school has a lot of societies and resident hall events. This week we had the Resident Hall basketball competition which was fun because one of my new friends made the team. There was also a dance competition, where many of the groups had a dance style similar to K-Pop. There is a photography competition coming up so I’m figuring out how to enter that.

The weirdest situation I have been in so far has to go to the random dinner to which I got invited to. I had taken the MTR to Hong Kong island to eat and take pictures around the city. I ran into this cool park which had abstract light-up displays and thought that it would make a great photo-op. As I was taking pictures, this group of 30 something-year-old bankers noticed my camera and asked me to take a picture of them – although with their cellphone. After that, they invited me to dinner and we talked a bit about what I was doing here and how long I was going to be here. They took me to a Japanese restaurant. I got their contacts and we are going to get together after the Chinese New Year break.

Sorry for the short post, I am sick, hopefully, will be better next week.

Here are the photos of the week!

--
Junior Kyle Phillpott is spending the spring 2019 term in Hong Kong through our U of A Exchange program at City University of Hong Kong.

Read more from Kyle at https://americaninhongkong.home.blog/

Don't miss your opportunity to study or intern abroad! Start your search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/