Search This Blog

24 June 2016

The Surprise Waiting For Us in Otaru! #HogsAbroad in Japan

image
The “grand day-by-day” that Stapp wrote out before we got to Japan is what we all treat as our guide to the JSAP program. But today it was blank and we were left without any idea of what was happening, just the name of the town, Otaru. We caught a pretty early train this morning, and as we closed in on Otaru we found out that it was a smaller town on the coast that is famous for stained glass and music boxes.
image
Leaving the train station Stapp marched us down the coastal streets towards our destination, a glass blowing studio! When we finally found out the day’s activity I was so excited. I’m not very good at art but I really enjoy it, and this was something that I had never done. In groups of three they took us back to make our glassware. It was quite a process and the entire time I was nervous that I was going to screw it all up. But I am proud to say that I made a beautiful bud vase.


image
Otaru was a fun little town to walk through. We wound through the streets looking in on little shops every here and there. It was such a cute little town and felt so different from everywhere else we had traveled. Lots of the shops featured blown glass art and I was sad that I knew it would most likely break if I tried to get it home. At one point Kimber pointed out a coffee shop that she saw and we broke off from the group and had a cup. It’s nice every once in a while to just sit down with one or two people and not the entire group; a nice minute of quiet.

After finishing out our walk through Otaru, we caught a train bound for Sapporo. I was pretty excited to get back because David was in town and Sam and I were going out for dinner with him. It was fun to see a friend not on the program. We all walked around downtown Sapporo looking for a restaurant and unlike usual when we got lost we didn’t have to just wander around because David could speak to people and ask for help. Having a person who spoke Japanese was extremely handy and a nice treat. We ended up at a smallish restaurant a few blocks away from the hotel.

It wasn’t too late when Sam and I got back to the hotel so I packed my luggage for the next day. At midnight Maddi and Kimber took me to get ice cream across the street for my birthday! It was fun until we woke Stapp up…

I can’t wait for tomorrow when we go to Tokyo!
--
To read more from Stephanie, check out http://stephsadventuresabroad.tumblr.com/
For more information on the U of A International Business in Japan program, see http://studyabroad.uark.edu/wcobjapan