Losing My Passport and Finding My Way in Madrid, Spain #HogsAbroad
Hola! My first day in Spain did not start out as planned. I left my
passport in the airplane, but I got it back. It really hit me that I was
in Spain when the people at the information desk did not know any
English. I got everything worked out and I was able to go through
customs and get my luggage.
After we meet up with the others in our group we took a bus to meet
our host families. My host mom’s name is Teresa. She is an older lady
but very lively. She works as an arts dealer here in Madrid. She lives
alone except for the students that come and stay.
Flags representing the countries of the world on display
The car was running low on gas, so we had to stop at a gas station.
The gas stations here actual use attendants. The attendant not only
filled up the tank, but also, aired up the tires. I saw that she was
driving a stick shift and asked her about the cars here. She told me
that most every drives manual cars. She said that she has some family in
Florida and she thought it was crazy that in the United States not
everyone knows how to drive a stick shift.
An apartment building off of El Sol
She drove me to her downtown apartment. I wasn’t really sure what to
expect when I got to the place, where I would be living for the next
month. Everything is very small compared to America. The hallway is very
narrow. The door frames seem smaller than the ones that I am used to.
Teresa has a lot of antiques everywhere around the apartment. I am
truly afraid that I am going to accidentally break something. The washer
and dryer are kept in the kitchen. I am not sure if this is normal for
Europeans, but all I know is that my mother would freak out if you tried
to take her laundry room away.
Statue in the heart of El Sol
That night we went as a group to El Sol. It is kinda a tourist spot
with lots of shopping and restaurants. A small group of us ate tapas
(appetizers) with our faculty advisor. I really enjoyed some foods like
croquettes, but I didn’t like the calamari as much. Over all, my first
day in Spain was good.
--
Read more from Autumn at https://autumnabroadblog.wordpress.com/blog/
Find out more about the U of A Spanish in Madrid program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/madrid
After we meet up with the others in our group we took a bus to meet our host families. My host mom’s name is Teresa. She is an older lady but very lively. She works as an arts dealer here in Madrid. She lives alone except for the students that come and stay.
--
Read more from Autumn at https://autumnabroadblog.wordpress.com/blog/
Find out more about the U of A Spanish in Madrid program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/madrid