It’s me again.
I hope this post finds you well.
I apologize for the fact that this introduction sounds like I’m writing an email, thought I’d change it up a bit.
So it’s June 1 at 4:30 in the afternoon. I am sitting on my terrace with my roommate Alessia following an excellent lunch and siesta (as always). I probably won’t publish this for a while, but I had a few thoughts I wanted to jot down before I forgot them and I can’t stand seeing my ugly handwriting in a journal anymore so here we are.
This week has been kind of a struggle, and it’s only Tuesday. I thought I was past the culture shock but it seems to be more of a roller coaster of emotions. I have found myself missing American food on a daily basis, like if there was a way I could have my mom send me mac and cheese and a chili cheese coney I 150% definitely would. I could also really go for a burrito right about now. What can I say, your girl likes to eat!!!
A few more things I want to share about living in Valencia:
- The official language of Valencia (wish I had known this before coming here to study Spanish) is not Castellano (the Spanish word for Spanish, NOT Español because it is different in sooo many ways). The official language is in fact, Valenciano. It’s been a struggle for me because many times I will be looking at a map or a sign and thinking- why can’t I understand this???? Like is my Spanish vocabulary that poor or are my eyes really going bad? Oh no, its because it is in a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE. I never spot it right away because the letters and word structures are the same and it takes me a minute to figure out what I’m reading in Spanish anyway. So street signs, bus maps, bathroom signs and lord knows what else are not actually in a language that I’m familiar with. Enough about that
- Spaniards, maybe all Europeans, maybe a majority of the world and I haven’t actually noticed this, have zero shame in wearing the same clothes two days in a row. It may be because of the water crisis, like I know a lot of people in my program, not any of us living with Cari though, have been limited to 8 minute showers… Like… it takes me that long to get the shower hot sometimes….
- Related to number 1, the Spanish in Spain is different than Latin American Spanish. I knew this, but I was not prepared for just HOW different it was going to be. The most prominent difference is the use of ustedes vs vosotros, but that one is pretty easy to adjust to hearing. It is the manner of saying things (they pronounce s’s, z’s and c’s with the th sound, like its Valenthia instead of Valencia. If you understand what’s going on, those things are easy to understand. It is the vocabulary difference that has been the most frustrating. Basic words like juice, drive, bedroom, are completely different in the two regions. Right now I’m constantly asking myself whether I should use the Castilian word or my familiar word and if I should bother learning both or what is proper in both areas. For example, the word coger is used very commonly here as a word for catch, get, take, grab, etc. In Latin America, however, the word has a COMPLETELY 110% different meaning which I will not write on this blog, you’re more than welcome to look it up yourself if the curiosity strikes you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m back again!
It’s been a while since I’ve taken a look at this draft but Valencia definitely deserves more than one blog post and my days here are about to be over! Since the last blog post, I’ve come to love Valencia so much that I get homesick for this place when I’m away on the weekends. This city is just big enough that there is always something to do, but just small enough to where you always know where you are and getting around is a breeze. It’s much less expensive than the larger European cities, but still a place that is well worth visiting. It has everything you need – history, cultural appeal, and a beach!
Over the past few weeks, I myself have done many of the touristy things in Valencia.
The city of arts and sciences for example- it is the cultural center of the city which features an IMAX theatre, a science museum, the largest aquarium in Europe, a night club, and much more.

Valencia also has its own cathedral- one of my favorite things to see in any city. I just got around to visiting it yesterday and it is yet another magnificent place of worship. The neatest thing about this cathedral is that it is the home to the Holy Chalice which Jesus drank from at the last supper. We didn’t get to see it, however, because it is only brought out on certain days of the week.

Thanks to our the lovely ladies from Italy who stayed with Cari as well over the past few weeks, we also discovered what I think may be a hidden Spanish treasure. It is a restaurant called 100 Montaditos. We’ve been about 4 times in the past few weeks and I’m oh so excited to go back again tonight!
The appeal of this place is that they have over 100 tapas for 1 euro on Sundays and Wednesdays, but, most importantly, POPCORN CHICKEN!!! I try and get a taste from home whenever I can. I’ll leave a picture below so you can see for yourself the life that Montaditos gives me.

Today is June 22. My last day in Valencia is June 25. That is 3 days. While I sit and reflect on my time here, I am a little upset that I have not had the opportunity to see and experience everything that Valencia has to offer, but I also pride myself in really taking the time to sit back and enjoy the little things that come with actually living here. Take for instance, my daily siestas and the views from my terrace, or late night walks in the Turia when Ali and I haven’t met our Fitbit goals.
So even if it were only for a short time, I actually lived in a city 5,000 miles away from the place I call home, and I absolutely loved it.

You’re the owner to a piece of my heart now Valencia, and I’ll be sure to see you again.
Xoxo,
Kassandra
----
Read more from Kassandra at https://salazarinspain.wordpress.com/
Take a look at http://studiesabroad.com/programs/country/spain/city/valencia/duration/17 for more information about the ISA Valencia, Spain: Hispanic Studies Honors Program.
