Search This Blog

27 May 2016

“Sweet Thames, Run Softly…” #HogsAbroad

IMG_0186.JPG

I sit in the lobby of the Royal National Hotel, not necessarily bored but after one of the best days of my life, I do indeed need the rest. Hell, who am I kidding, today was the best day of my life. Actually, “Bloody Hell who am I kidding” is what I meant.
“Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” – Aldous Huxley
I don’t say that lightly. I never in a million years actually thought I would see firsthand the things I saw today. I felt like a dog at a farmers market, overstimulated. Every single smell and direction made my eyes light up, and my ears perked to the sky. I stare down at my red journal in which I attempt daily to write every detail down in. There is four pages worth of my chicken scratched journey around the city, and I still feel as if I neglected to write a view details as I stood or sat in wonder and awe.

Our group took a coach with an amazing tour guide named Lauren, and an even more brilliant coach driver Paul. I jokingly use the term “brilliant” here as Lauren often would congratulate Paul on his route choices as she dictated the sights to us through a microphone. “Oh well done, Paul! Brilliant!” would precede her onslaught of information about every inch we roamed. To be fair, Paul was pretty brilliant.

We left our area and drove through Bloomsbury, a section of the city I was pleased to find had literary ties such as Virginia Wolfe. All the while I “put a pin” in it as I plan to roam alone for the occasional blue sign remarking the amazing writer’s frequent locations. We carried on through convent garden, and towards Lincoln Inn Field which is London’s largest square, or park.

We passed Kings College, and the London School of Economics, which associates itself with the likes of Nobel laureates, Pulitzer prize winners, the Queen of Denmark, and several prime ministers. Yet, the one who I geek about most was merely a drop-out. However, despite dropping out of the LSE, I suppose Mick Jagger did alright with his other exploits.
IMG_0062

We carried on to pass the Somerset House, hardly a house but a large neoclassical building designed by Sir William Chambers in 1776. Then onto pass the haunted Adelphi Theatre and the National Gallery which we will visit later in the trip. Whitehall was next which holds majority of the city and countries government buildings including Parliament. Lauren all the way citing with perfect recitation the architects and former leaders.

This when I realized through a holding back of tears, I was having the best day of my life. We passed The Elizabeth Tower, Big Ben to you and I, and as I stared up at the famous landmark I so often saw in my dreams it hit me. You can call it an epiphany, or an “ah-ha” moment, I’ll call it a “Holy %@%#, You did it Mikey” moment. You made it here. This moment was short lived as we passed parliament and the River Thames came into view. This is where I had my “No Seriously, Holy %#$&ing @&%! Mikey. YOU DID IT” moment.

I have studied poetry, and the works of T.S Eliot since high school, my favorite poem being The Wasteland. To set eyes on The River Thames was religious, it was profound. I looked around the coach as I wiped a tear from my eye hiding my emotional sensitive side from my fellow study abroaders. Maybe they would get it, maybe not. But for those of you who have known me my whole life, or at least read my first blog you know I have had an incredibly tough journey. It has been a long and winding avenue with twists of tragedy, turns of death, and roadblocks of loss. The fact that this road lead to this level of happiness is not only improbable, highly unlikely, but at times it seemed impossible.
“By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept…Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.” The Wasteland, T.S Eliot

We were barely halfway through the tour at this point. Our next stop would be the Buckingham Palace. We planned to see the changing of the guard, however due to the time of our voyage we got so much more. On the 11th of June “Trooping the Colour” takes place which is a celebration of the Queen’s 90th Birthday. We were able to see around 1400 footsoldiers, and 400 band members practice their routine in preparation.
We walked along the Mall, away from St. James’ Park as a rehearsal for Trooping the Colour took place and the New Guard, led by a Regimental Band, marched from Horse Guards, up The Mall, to Buckingham Palace to the Changing of the Guard Ceremony. Wow, what an experience.
IMG_0222
We took a picture in front of the Queen’s pad, she was in, indicated by a red and yellow flag called The Royal Standard. We boarded the coach yet again and proceeded down the financial heartland, the oldest section of the city, where the roman’s first took up residence noting the Thames River’s trade possibilities. The rest, as they say, is history.
IMG_0178.JPG
Rounding Southbank after passing through Chelsea we headed towards the district St Giles. The history of the lower classes of older London enchanting our senses. We were on our way back to the hotel when another classic London fixture struck, traffic. We discussed our options with Lauren and Paul, and Paul as brilliant as he is, decided to drop us off as we were all willing to take a short walk to Piccadilly Circus and Leicester again.

We bid Paul a farewell and thanked him for his brilliance. Lauren bid us a farewell after making sure we were headed in the right direction. About two blocks later she would run up from behind us to let us know we had veered off a more ideal path. Amazing tour guide and person that Lauren.

A group of us decided on a show at a discount price for The Woman in Black at the one and only official discounted theatre ticket booth, as many others claim such deals. I am unable to comment on the production as we won’t see it for another three hours. I can say I am incredibly excited for my first show in London, and yet another group bonding experience.

I suppose that is all I have for now my faithful readers, do keep reading. This was merely the first best day of my life, tomorrow will top it, and then the day after the next, and so on and on until I begrudgingly board a plane to head back over the pond on the 20th of June. Until then I will continue to soak in the inspiration from the banks of the Thames and pray to it that it run softly, until I end my song.
-Mikey Reynolds
--
Read more from Mikey at https://themikeyreynoldschronicles.wordpress.com/.
Find out more about the U of A Theatre in Britain summer program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/theatreinbritain.