Search This Blog

28 May 2016

A Saturday in Japan. #HogsAbroad

This was one of the most fun days so far on the trip. Instead of taking a train somewhere this morning, we walked across Kameoka to Dr. Stapp’s friend’s house. Nishijima-sensei, one of Japan’s premier potters, was gracious enough to invite us into his home and studio for the morning.  First he showed us through his showroom, which housed incredible pieces of art. All of his pieces are glazed in an original glaze that he creates. After that we moved into his studio.

First we had a chance to look at his kilns and works in progress, then he presented us each with three-piece sake sets, a much to generous gift. Then we really got to work making pottery. The first piece that we worked on was painting a bowl that Nishijima-sensei had already initially fired. We got to choose what we were painting on it, which was honestly the most difficult task of the day.

Sometimes I’m just crippled by the paradox of choice. Eventually I settled on kanji characters for “rising sun” or “japan” and cherry trees. Next I attempted to make a vase out of clay, but who knows how that one turned out. Best-case scenario sensei forgets to fire it and I never have to see it again. Finally we all made sushi plates. I swear by the end of this trip I will have enough sushi plates and chopsticks to be set for life. Pottery was really fun. I’ve really enjoyed seeing into the life that Stapp had in Japan. He always tells stories about it in class, but meeting all of his friends has been eye opening.

After finishing up at Nishijima-sensei’s house we caught a train into Kyoto for the “Toji Flea Market”. One of the oldest markets, the Toji flea market has happened the 21st of every month for hundreds of years. This market happens around the Toji temple in downtown Kyoto, a short walk from the main train station. We stayed and wandered around for a little while, but I couldn’t really find anything that I needed to buy. It was a great place for people watching though.

That night ended with a little fun. Some of the students on the trip and I went out for Karaoke. It was such a different experience compared to what you do in America. At World Vision, a Japanese chain, they take you to a private room that seats maybe 10 people and you are given your own private Karaoke set-up. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a little fun.
--
Read more from Stephanie at http://stephsadventuresabroad.tumblr.com/
Find out more about the U of A International Business in Japan program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/wcobjapan