Search This Blog

23 May 2016

Making a splash! #HogsAbroad

IMAG7288
The last few days have brought more adventures than I could have ever imagined! From driving through snow and sleet on a high mountain pass, to swimming in volcanic hot springs and to boating through the Fjords searching for whales- it has been pretty fantastic here.
IMAG7025
Myvatn Namafjall



Myvatn, is where I stayed  few nights ago. It has many attractions in the area- most notably those arising from the high temperature geothermal activity.

In addition to the nature baths there is also Namafjall, a park filled with steaming outlets and pools bubbling up from below the surface. A couple kilometers from that is a cave system which was a lot of fun to explore.
It used to be used as nature baths as well, until the 1970’s when a magma stream opened up making the water too hot to use.

After Myvtn, I went on to Glaumbaer. This farm is from the 1100’s, but was moved from somewhere else, predating it’s current site. The structures below were built in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The farm has 16 rooms, most of which are connected by a central passageway. The structure is made out of turf and driftwood. The main living quarters could sleep up to 22 people!
IMAG7343
Church near Glaumbaer

IMAG7331
Glaumbaer




The church pictured was only few minutes drive from Glaumbaer. It is constructed during the same time period, but meant to reflect the structure which would have stood during the 11th century.

Yesterday, after exploring all morning I joined a whale watching excursion for the afternoon. Despite it being freezing on the water with lots of wind, it was a great trip! We saw at least 7 humpbacks and a few harbor porpoises as well. (Main photo).

So far, I have made it about two thirds of the way around the Ring Road. I have two days left, which will bring me full circle to Reykjavik. Today I am headed out to the far west coast, near Olafsvik.
Ta!
--
Claire Beach will be traveling to several countries during her International Service Learning Program this summer. Her ultimate destination will be a seven-week stay in Indonesia where she will be observing and conducting research for her project, Community Nature and Conservation, through the Honors College.

Beach is studying economics and international business in Walton College. She is observing and conducting research on the profitability of ecotourism business and environmental preservation in other parts of the globe, particularly developing countries. She will be attending the School of International Training. You can read more from Claire at hogtrailsandtales.wordpress.com.

Find out more about the SIT Indonesia: Community Nature Conservation in Bali (Summer) program at http://studyabroad.sit.edu/programs/summer/summer-2016/abe/