Search This Blog

31 May 2016

Last Week in Ghent #HogsAbroad

We have only a couple more days left in Ghent, and I’m finding it difficult to look back on this program as a whole. I am loving our classes and excursions because I feel they are giving me a very well-rounded glimpse into careers I will be in and around. There have been so many things in lectures and excursions that have caught my attention and made me seriously interested in different subjects and in coming back to Ghent to study. 

Today, for example, we had a lecture on Sustainable Water Resource Management for Food Production that didn’t capture my attention at first. However, as the speaker went on, my notes noticeably changed and became interspersed with underlines, exclamation points, and stars. I realized he had made a connection with a principle I had been introduced to in my foundations of sustainability class, and he explained that it is easy for people to react to things once they have happened, but it is much more useful to think proactively and to plan for problems before they arise. He explained the dual-fold way that modeling stimulate this: analyzing ecosystem functions and services and informing people and legislation in a way that can convince them to change their behavior. He summarized that the role of models is to optimize and inspire. I strongly agree. 

Several times this week I have felt that I was experiencing Ghent like a local would. One of the most interesting things about the day-to-day in Ghent has been the preference people seem to have for walking and cycling over vehicular transport. It has been a learning curve to grasp that there is always a bike lane and that bikes have the right-of-way at nearly all times, but this week I got to move up in the food chain and hop on a bike myself. It was an adrenaline-filled experience between the dodging of pedestrians, the bumpy cobblestones, and travelling so close and alongside traffic. 

Once we had gotten our bikes, Hildé offered to make us a little tour of the Flemish countryside. A few of us loved the idea and within the hour we were on our way on our matching red bikes, three of us in light-catching safety vests, one with a map, and myself with a list of numbers indicating the route we should take.

We saw so many beautiful sights on our ride! We rode along the canal some and came upon some Belgian Blues, which we stopped to take pictures of before we realized there was no fence between us and them. We passed many farms and dozens of breathtaking houses. We noticed that everyone has a well-kept garden, and we saw many people on the trails, walking dogs and going on nature hikes. I’m sure we would’ve been annoying to anyone else, ringing our bells and continually pointing out new beautiful sights to one another and exclaiming “Wow!” or “Whoa!” or “This is the most European thing ever!” as we rounded every corner. 

Another new experience was going to see a movie in the local theater. It was an English movie, so it had double subtitles in Dutch and French. I found out that there are no commercials or previews or urgings to silence our phones before the movie begins. But that wasn’t a problem at all: no one was munching on popcorn or slurping soda – we just sat in our very comfortable chairs and soaked in the experience. It was very enjoyable, besides being a good movie. 
--
Read more from Jaden at https://jadentalley.wordpress.com/
To find out more about the U of A Faculty-Led: European Agriculture-Food Chain Sustainability program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/SUSTEurozone/