Search This Blog

06 July 2015

Navigating Brazil: Notes from a #HogsAbroad Student

This weekend my CIEE group and I left to Salvador, Bahia for our first cultural weekend outside of Rio. Salvador is in the northeast region of Brazil and Rio is in the southeast region of Brazil where there is a lot of Afro-brazilian culture, so the two areas are completely different. Even the flight to and from Salvador felt different than what I was accustomed to in the United States. For example, the flight attendants on international flights here in Brazil are so much nicer than those I've encountered back home. Here, the flight attendants actually engage the passengers with real conversation that isn't forced due to having to be polite and/or a part of their job. Along with the standard and customary beverage, airlines in Brazil also serve passengers a sandwich during their flight, no matter how much time their flight is. Another thing I noticed here is that taxis in Salvador are different from taxis in Rio and that threw me for a loop. The taxis in Rio are the plain standard yellow and here in Salvador they are completely white with a red and blue stripe.

After arriving in Salvador and stepping off the plane, we were soon greeted by a row of beautiful bamboo trees in our taxi ride to our hotel. Entering the hotel I was pleased to find out that we had better internet access than we had had previously at the hostel we have been staying at for the past three weeks. However, better internet access came with news I wasn't prepared to hear-I had received a Facebook message along with a slew of pictures containing an enormous amount of blood from my brother stating that my grandmother was in the hospital and had busted her head open. Within minutes my whole world had shattered right in front of my eyes. A few messages back and forth with my brother confirmed that my grandmother was indeed fine and she was going to be alright.

After hotel check-in and after I had regained my composure, our professor gave us firm instructions to throw on our swimsuits and told us to head downstairs within the next five minutes so he could get us settled in as quickly and as soon as possible since he had family in Salvador. More than 10 minutes or so later, Derek and I came down stairs to meet our professor and the other member of our group only to come to the harsh realization that we had taken too long to get ready and as a result had been left to fend for ourselves in a city that we weren't familiar with yet and that we were told was more dangerous than Rio.

At that point Derek and I hadn't eaten dinner yet so we decided to venture outside of the hotel and attempt to navigate our way to a restaurant. Getting there proved successful and it turned out that Salvador didn't seem any more dangerous than Rio. It appeared that fewer people roamed the streets in Salvador and it was significantly less crowded than what I was used to in Rio. In fact, in my opinion it actually wasn't that bad or scary at all like I had been told. Over these last three weeks here in Brazil I've learned how to be more street savvy when walking at night and utilizing these techniques along with common sense will get you far.

The popular cultural cuisine you'll find lined along the streets and almost anywhere in Salvador is called acaraje which is a deep-fried mixture of black-eyed peas, shrimp, etc. I didn't have time to experience it myself however, but several people told me it was quite delicious and that I should try it if I had the opportunity. When Derek and I arrived back at our hotel after dinner a CIEE member named Luiza was waiting on us in the hotel lobby and asked if we were ready to go to our complimentary welcome dinner and show that as it turned out was included in our program fee. We had no idea that we were scheduled to go to these activities so from the hotel we headed out to have our second dinner for the night. Our welcome dinner was at the mall and consisted of unlimited pizza. Here in Brazil I've come to find out that when eating pizza you should use a fork and knife instead of using your hands like most traditional Americans would do.

When we arrived at the Pelourinho for the folklore show there were several street vendors trying to sell stuff and some of them were relentless. One of them even gave me a free lembranca which was used as a selling tactic to try and get me to buy one of his items.

Overall, I would say I had a good time in Salvador although the trip was only three days long. In a way I felt as if Salvador provided a more accurate representation of Brazil than the area of Rio I'm staying in because it is flooded with a high volume of tourists. 

--
Thanks to Andrea for sharing this with us. If you'd like to find out more about CIEE's summer options in Brazil, check out http://www.ciee.org/study-abroad/brazil/