Search This Blog

03 July 2015

Learning Law in London #HogsAbroad


On a train somewhere between Basel and Interlaken, Switzerland
 
This weekend I went to Switzerland to meet up with my girlfriend. This was her last week studying abroad in Florence, Italy. It only seemed natural that we meet on neutral ground. And what place is more neutral than Switzerland! 

Here’s a quick history lesson. Switzerland has maintained a status of neutrality since 1815. The country has taken its neutral status so seriously that it didn’t join the United Nations until 2002. All of Europe has respected and recognized this status since it was declared. Even Adolf Hitler acknowledged Switzerland’s neutral status during the Nazi march across Europe in World War II! I fully understood why Switzerland valued its neutrality once I stepped off the train in Interlaken.


I saw how beautiful the countryside was and how the villages were untouched by time. The houses, cottages, and pubs in the village seemed like they came straight from a fairytale or a Disney movie. Every house had flowers in its windows. The canals and rivers had opaque, blue water rushing through. There was a constant, light breeze that passes by, as if the looming mountains were whispering to you. Interlaken was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.


There are several activities in Interlaken. You can paraglide from atop one of the nearby mountains and land in the fields of the village. There are two lakes on either side of Interlaken that you can fish or enjoy a cruise. There is caving, rafting, canoeing, and even canyoning. My girlfriend and I opted for the leisurely trip. Aside from indulging in Swiss chocolates and shopping for Swiss army knives, we took the inclined railway to see the top of Interlaken. This mountain was known as the Harder Kulm. Atop this mountain there was an observation deck, a restaurant with a panoramic view, and several hiking trails. We took advantage of all three. Our visit to the Harder Kulm was a perfect end for our visit to such an enchanting place.