Search This Blog

14 April 2015

Suprise! Traveling Abroad from a #HogsAbroad Alum

What surprised you most about study abroad. What do you wish you had known before going? What advice would you give to others?

Here are the top 5 things that surprised me about studying abroad:

1. Weather

Both times I studied abroad, the weather caught me off guard. For some reason, I have a picture in my head that the weather in Europe is just perfect and never uncomfortably cold or hot. Yeah, that’s not how it works. When I was in Prague in the summer, the weather was pretty hot. There were days that were really nice but majority of the time I was swimming in my own sweat. When I was in Rome for the spring semester, I did not expect all of January and February to be a torrential downpour. Luckily, I had the right clothes and shoes for this type of weather, but still, the sun was a sight for sore eyes once it finally came out of hiding. My advice is to consider all kinds of weather when packing. Take clothes and shoes that are versatile and can work with either hot or cold or wet or dry or muddy or just straight up cruel (like when it rains ice on you while you are eating gelato in previously happy weather). Layering is the best, you’ll be thankful you brought that jacket or light undershirt when the weather drops or rises 30 degrees in the same day. However, this isn’t an excuse to over pack. It’s just another reason to pack smarter!

2. Allergies

My allergies in Europe were awful. I did not take into account that everyone smokes cigarettes everywhere. Literally, everywhere. Both in Prague and Rome, my sinuses were nuts. Most mornings I’d wake up with a dry mouth due to not being able to breathe from my nose the whole night. Attractive, I know. My inhaler was my best friend during those dark times. My word of advice is to bring allergy medication, whether or not you have allergy issues, it’s better to be safe. What helped me the most was buying local honey and eating a teaspoon every morning. My body eventually got adjusted to the environment and I felt better as the weeks passed. Except for all the second hand smoke, that never really got better.

3. Grocery shopping mistranslations

Grocery shopping in Rome was a lot easier than it was in Prague. This is definitely because of Czech being a pretty tough language. My first time buying essentials in Prague resulted in buying Kefir milk instead of regular milk, which is a fermented milk drink, and porridge instead of oatmeal, which was delicious. I also bought scented toilet paper by mistake, which would not have been a big problem except for the fact that it was peach scented and that’s my least favorite scent in the world. Lesson learned. After that trip, I downloaded an offline translator onto my phone and made sure to check it if I wasn’t 100% sure of what I was buying. I really recommend doing that. It may make you look like a foreigner, but it’ll save you from pouring fermented milk on your perfectly wonderful cereal. (Kefir milk pairs really well with making a marinade for salmon, btw… I bought a gallon of that stuff)

4. Heating

We got to Rome on a day that was pouring ice cold rain. I was drenched when I finally reached the apartment and just wanted to warm up, except that my apartment was probably colder than it was outside and I basically froze… not really, but it was pretty cold. Sometimes you can be unlucky and your apartment radiators just won’t work no matter how many times you try and get it fixed. Our radiators finally worked about a month in, and boy was that a happy day. By now we were pretty accustomed to being cold all the time that the on/off time for the heat didn’t really affect us as much. Luckily for us, we didn’t have a problem with shortage of hot water. It seemed as though you either get hot water or heat, after hearing other apartments complain that their showers were too cold. (I would’ve taken that over no heat any day) My regret was not bringing a comfortable sweater/sweatshirt that I could cocoon in while I was in my apartment. For some reason, finding one was harder than it should’ve been. However, having limited heating was a blessing as well as it really made me want to leave the apartment and go explore (centrally heated spaces) in Rome.

5. Call your bank

One thing I forgot to do before leaving the US was to call my bank and let them know that I was going abroad. This was an actual problem because as soon as I tried to get money out of an ATM in Rome, they locked my card. Pretty inconvenient. I was able to call an international number to fix this but it could’ve been avoided easily. Another thing I wish I had known about was getting an international debit/ credit card. You avoid the currency exchange fee when you use said card and also get points for using it. Definitely not a necessity, but nice if you know you want to travel a lot for an extended period of time.

Even with these surprises I would not have traded my experiences abroad for anything. You learn to grow from these mistakes. The positive surprises outweighed the negative drastically as well. My final tip is to try and be as prepared as you can before heading out of the country BUT take surprises head on and positively as they are unavoidable. As long as you don’t buy peach scented toilet paper (I will never recover), every surprise has a solution.

--
Ayesha Erkin, Peer Advisor