Search This Blog

10 April 2015

Postgraduation Plans: Thailand #HogsAbroad #Fulbright

After spending a semester in Italy and traveling throughout Europe I had a been bitten by the travel bug. Throughout my summer post study abroad I couldn't wait to start planning my next adventure. I started reading blogs of courageous travelers who taught English abroad and I couldn't think of a better way to spend my time post graduation. Thankfully one of my friends had the same mindset and she told me about the Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship grants (ETA). At first I was extremely intimidated by such a competitive program and time consuming application process. However I decided to take a chance and apply for an ETA grant in Thailand. The worst thing they could do is say no, right?   

Applicants must submit two one-page essays, a Personal Statement and a Statement of Grant Purpose. Since I was applying for the ETA grant I focused my essays on my experience teaching both in the U.S. and abroad. In addition, I included how I would engage with the community through theater and dance. Once I had a rough draft I brought it to the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards on campus. During my first meeting they tore my essays apart. I was so disheartened but they knew what the Fulbright committee was looking for and with their advice I was able to tailor my essays accordingly. I’m not going to lie, the week leading up to the deadline was stressful. My essays went through the editing process not only by the office but by my dad, roommate, and little sister. Finally, it came time to turn it in and after one last final edit I hit submit for the University of Arkansas deadline. 

Shortly after I interviewed with the on campus Fulbright committee. They asked me questions about politics in Thailand, their education system and how my experiences would help me thrive as an English teacher. In addition, they gave me suggestions on how I could make my application stronger and therefore another editing process began. By the end of that week I was finally done with the entire application process and then I clicked submit, but this time for real! 

My application was sent to be reviewed by the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education and thus the first waiting period began. The application was due in October and the first notification wasn't until three months later. On January 16th I got an email that I had been selected as a finalist and my application had been forwarded to the supervising agency in Thailand for final selection. I was thrilled to have made it to the final round! The next waiting period was by far the hardest. I could be notified anytime between February and May. In late March students who had applied to other countries started to hear back about their status. I was starting to get antsy and didn’t want to accept a job without knowing about Thailand. On April 1st, yes April fools day, I received an email and the first line read, “Congratulations!” I honestly didn’t believe what I saw. This dream that I had worked so hard for came true.  

Next fall I will leave the comfort of my home country and fly 16+ hours to Thailand. I will attend orientation for five weeks in Bangkok and then move to my assigned town where I will work teaching English. I’m so thankful to have been given this opportunity to do something I love and truly passionate about! 

If you are considering applying next year, DO IT!!! Go to their website and start your application now, don’t be rushed like me. But most importantly, use your resources! Your mentors, advisers and the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards are here to help you succeed. Don’t be afraid to ask for help so you can put your best foot forward. So why not go to this link- http://us.fulbrightonline.org/ and start NOW?!

“In the end we only regret the chances we did not take.”
--
Amy Cosgrove, Peer Advisor