So, this trip. The central event that formed my 36-hour
Glasgow experience was the opportunity to see my favorite comedian of all time,
Dara Ó Briain, live at his new show Crowd Tickler. I was ecstatic when I
somehow managed to score a seat within 10 rows of the stage, and knew that I
could work the commute over to Scotland’s largest city into a concentrated,
self-guided tour. I did the vast majority of my research, admittedly, over
Pinterest- a habit that has formed into quite an efficient way of gathering
information about the cities I visit, their highlights, or best restaurants and
then filing it away under its own board for later reference. As a slight
tangent, I can highly recommend this strategy because it’s a brilliant way of
hyping yourself up for the other side of that 7:15 AM flight!
I arrived in Glasgow just as the sun was fully rising, and
camped out with my free 30 minutes of WIFI in an airport coffee shop to plan my
day. I also got my hands on a box of these handy and delicious oat bars, which
really saved me at times when I was only midway through a museum and felt
hunger creeping its way in.
| I cannot find these in Irish Tesco stores, so before I left Scotland I bought another entire box- they were that good! |
| The Glasgow Cathedral seen from the top of the Necropolis. |
My second day in Glasgow was dedicated to exploring the West
End, and boy, did it deliver! I could have walked through the Botanic Gardens
for several hours more than I allowed myself, simply breathing in the vibrant
air and listening to the patter of rain on the greenhouse roofs. At one point
that day the rain drove me inside a charity shop named Shelter, and I
optimistically purchased an adorable sundress in thanks.
![]() |
| The sun finally came out above the Glasgow Botanic Gardens. |
The hostel that I was staying at was situated atop a
terraced hill, which was flanked on two sides by a sprawling public park- the
likes of which I would have never expected in Scotland. Wherever I turned, a
photo opportunity revealed itself before my eyes. By crossing through the park
I arrived at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum- a massive brick structure
housing both famous elephants and a Salvador Dalí painting- and spent every
moment I could in there before security flushed me out for closing. My final
hours in Glasgow were focused on the attainment of good food, which I found
plenty of in both the Willow Tea Rooms (made famous by artist/architect Charles
Rennie Mackintosh), and the Firebird restaurant on Argyle Street, which served
up the most unexpectedly delicious butternut squash, goat cheese, and sage
pizza I will probably ever have. Belly full, I returned to my apartment in
Dublin that night.
This trip was just what I needed to unlock the door barring
me from the world of solo travel. Like a shot of espresso, the adrenaline
brought on in being in a new city with only my own wits to rely on was fuel to
carry myself through those 2 days. I have absolutely no regrets, because I now
know how much effort it takes to plan a vacation- even this tiny one- all by
myself. My next solo trip is already in the works, and I hope experience will
aid me in making it even better!
---
Colleen Boardman is a Junior in the Fulbright Honors College
at the University of Arkansas, working her way towards dual majors in English
and Chemistry. She is spending the Spring 2015 semester at Trinity College
Dublin in Ireland. In addition to her college classes and researching her
honors thesis topic, she is also exploring the culture of her new home by
taking Irish language and dance lessons.
