Search This Blog

27 April 2015

What It Feels Like to Earn A Summer 2015 Gilman Scholarship #hogsabroad

"When I received word that I had been awarded the Gilman Scholarship, I breathed a sigh of relief. As a non-traditional student with a large family, there is a bit of surreality in the decision to go abroad. For me a lot of second guessing, and wondering if it was practical, both logistically and financially—because despite all of the encouragement I have received from friends, family and advisers, I still felt a twinge of guilt to be going. 

Truthfully-- within the context of my life--it was sometimes hard to justify the expense of the trip to myself when I thought I would have to finance it with loans. So the moment I read I had received Gilman scholarship it felt like a load was lifted, taking with it any shred of guilt I felt. The kids will be fine, and this opportunity is an amazing one that will change my life and enrich my education. And now, best of all, I am blessed to be able to do it without worry, and with a sense that my hard work has paid off."

Tabitha Orr, Gilman Scholarship Award Recipient for Summer 2015

--
Learn More About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program at http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program