I had no idea how I
was going to pay for the trip, and my parents were already stretching their
finances to provide a backup plan. When I received the email from Gilman I was
filled with many emotions. Excitement mixed with appreciation, and modesty took
control of my day. All this occurred while I was writing a paper for an English
class. That is why I took hold of this opportunity.
My love for storytelling and the culture that is transmitted
through oral and written works provided the passion that helped me want this
more than anything. I will continue my journey in the written world as I
immerse myself in the educational practices of Mexico, specifically Puebla.
This region has deep roots in Aztec myth and tradition. The landscape alone is
not going to allow me to leave. This is because I will be transported back to
an ancient world that is stuck in between legend and history. I think this is
what made me a good candidate.
I hope to share, upon my return, my experiences and the things
that I have learned at the Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla
with those willing to hear. And I will give tips for and present the Gilman
Scholarship Application process with those students willing to study
abroad.
--
Javier Gamboa, Gilman Scholarship Award Recipient for Summer 2015