Search This Blog

02 February 2023

Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable


Hi! My name is Erin Culhane, and I studied in Madrid, Spain, during the Fall of 2022. I went to UC3M in the outskirts of the city.  

Studying abroad is something I have always wanted to do. I was nervous that with covid and other personal things, this dream of mine would not happen. Thankfully, everything worked out.  

 

My experience in Spain  

 

Studying abroad was my first experience out of the country, so it was very overwhelming, but in the best possible way. Especially since I do not speak Spanish. The program I chose, ISA, did an excellent job planning activities and trips to help us meet new people and create unforgettable memories. One of my favorite parts of the trip was how easy and cheap it was to travel between countries and cities. During October, I was somewhere new every weekend. Some places I visited included Amsterdam, Switzerland, Lake Como, Milan, Italy, Barcelona, Granada, etc. And when I was not traveling, I was exploring Madrid's enormous, beautiful city.  

 

Traveling abroad was not all sunshine and rainbows. I never thought I would get homesick, but I did. I missed my family, friends and just being in a familiar environment. I had some mental breakdowns, especially during the midterm season, but thankfully I made some amazing friends that were there for me.  

 

One big piece of advice is to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Studying abroad is all about getting out of your comfort zone. Before you know it, you will go home, and you don't want to leave with regrets. While studying abroad, I learned a lot about myself and discovered how independent I could be. Time flies, so try to soak it all in. Get a coffee next door and take a walk around Retiro park.  

 

Carpe Diem, seize the day!