Search This Blog

15 November 2022

Travel Tuesday #HogsAbroad in England

Hi! My name is Caroline Johnson. I’m in the Fulbright Honors College double majoring in Criminology and Sociology. This spring, I got the incredible opportunity to do an internship abroad in London! I worked for Breaking Barriers; an amazing non-profit that helps refugees resettle in the United Kingdom.

I lived in student housing in the Whitechapel/Shoreditch area, which is a super cool part of East London. I have never lived in a city before, but I found that I loved living in such a busy area. There was always something to do every single night, and the public transportation made it so easy to get there. I went to trivia nights, speakeasys, plays, markets, ping pong tournaments, escape rooms, and a ton of other cool places. I’m also a big foodie, so I loved trying out all the new restaurants and cuisines!

While I really loved living in London, the best part of the entire study abroad experience was the travel. Every weekend, I flew out to a different city thanks to the very cheap Ryanair airline (£17 roundtrip to Germany!). I went to:

Barcelona, Spain



Paris, France



Brighton, UK



Cork & Kinsale, Ireland



Amsterdam, Netherlands



Heidelberg, Germany



Bath, UK



Salzburg & Vienna, Austria



Looking back, I am so glad I decided to study abroad. I had the time of my life running around Europe while also having an incredible internship doing real, important work. If you are considering doing a program like this, I would 100% encourage you to do it. I’m already planning a trip to go back!