Search This Blog

08 September 2022

The Impact of Saying Hello

Hi there!

I am Taylor Howard, an incoming senior in the Walton College of Business studying Marketing with a minor in Supply Chain Management. This past summer, I spent a month in Rome, Italy and cannot wait to share my experiences through these blog posts. I was fortunate enough to attend the Marketing in Rome summer session taught by Molly Jensen and Heather Sprandel. 

I can confidently say that spending my summer studying abroad was the best decision I have made in college. That might sound a little extreme, but I truly believe I grew so much from my experience. Prior to my trip, I had never been anywhere in Europe. Or really out of the country at all. I prepared myself for the language-barriers I would face, cultural changes, and overall unfamiliarity of it all. Although I knew these things could be challenging, I was very excited to get an authentic taste of Italian culture.

Before beginning my official study abroad trip, my friend Gracie and I flew into Paris for a few days. Gracie at one point in college had a minor in French, which allowed her to have basic conversations wherever we went. For me, this was really my first time ever hearing French. Although Gracie taught me some basic words to help me get through conversation, I felt an odd insecurity about saying them. In my brain, it felt more polite to ask for things in English with a big smile than to embarrass myself by attempting French. I cannot begin to describe how wrong I was. When Gracie would order her food in French (even if she struggled to say it) the locals would beam at her. Meanwhile, I was not getting the same treatment AT ALL. Confused, I admitted to Gracie that I felt like the French people were being rude to me. That is when she explained the impact of the word “bonjour.” Although this might seem obvious to most, as a first time cross-border traveler, I did not think of the importance of at least saying hello in the language of the country you are in. Although I was aiming to be kind, respectful, and courteous everywhere I went - I was really coming across arrogant. I was there to appreciate their culture and yet was neglecting a huge part of it, their language.

After this enlightenment, I went on to my study abroad trip in Italy with a whole new attitude. Although almost every person I encountered in Rome spoke fluent English, I would always prompt conversation with a “ciao” and end it with a “grazie.” I opened my eyes and ears to their culture and practiced Italian anytime I could. This allowed me to create relationships with the locals while I was there. Servers, baristas, and taxi drivers were gracious and open to conversation. My biggest takeaway and advice for anyone planning to study abroad is to not be afraid of what feels uncomfortable. Speaking a new language that you know you are mispronouncing can seem very intimidating, but it is so greatly appreciated. You do not have to be fluent in a language to study abroad, rather be open to the basics. Learn what you can pick up and never neglect a chance to utilize their language.