Search This Blog

23 September 2022

Did Someone Say Siesta? #HogsAbroad Madrid, Spain Edition

Hi!! My name is Olivia Stusick. I am a Senior at the University of Arkansas, studying International and Global Studies and Spanish. This past summer I was able to participate in a University-Led Summer Study Abroad trip to Madrid, Spain!

When my mom was a senior in high school, her Spanish class took a trip to Madrid, Spain. Twenty-five years later, her daughter, a senior at the University of Arkansas, was able to study abroad in Madrid, Spain.

Ever since I started my college journey I knew I wanted to study abroad. This summer I was able to fulfill that dream before I graduate from the University of Arkansas this December.

I’ve spent this past month completing Spanish courses in Madrid, Spain at the University of Nebrija. My professors and peers were incredible and I loved getting to spend time with people from all parts of the world.
I was able to travel to different parts of Spain, like Segovia, Barcelona, and Valencia. I visited the Museo del Prado, saw MANY exquisite cathedrals, went to a flamenco show, ate yummy food, and mastered the metro.
After finishing my summer classes, I traveled to Rome by myself, where I saw my favorite painting of all time, The creation of Adam by Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. I also toured the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and St. Peter’s Basilica. I ate a lot of Carbonara and am unashamed of the amount of gelato and chocolate croissants I enjoyed while gazing at the Trevi Fountain.
A European's lifestyle is one that an American can learn much from. Their value in daily rest, slowing down, and continuously enjoying the time and company of loved ones are all values that I will be implementing and prioritizing in my routine back in the states. Comment