Search This Blog

11 July 2022

My Summer Exploring #HogsAbroad in Ireland

Kylie and me near St Mary's Cathedral

Hi! My name is Malia Martin and I am a senior pursuing my accounting degree. For my study abroad I went with the CISabroad program and did a summer session at the University of Limerick in Limerick, Ireland. My session was three weeks long and went from May 25 to June 15. For my study abroad class I actually took the course “crime, terrorism, and justice” which was taught by the law department, since I had an elective left to take.

Bridge over the River Shannon on UL campus at sunset

When getting ready to go abroad, all the resources I had; UL, CISabroad, and the study abroad office were all very helpful in educating me on what I would need to do before I leave, and what things I would need to take with me. When going abroad, you definitely need to think about what payment method you will need and also an international phone plan, what you specifically will need in Ireland is a raincoat and an umbrella. The room accommodation was very nice as you get an ensuite bathroom but you can have up to five roommates with a shared living room and kitchen and the accommodation I was in was the furthest from the classrooms and student hub so you were guaranteed to get a good walk in every day.

While I stayed at the University of Limerick, we took many field trips to see all over the country. There was a trip to Adare, Dublin, Galway, Cork, and Cobh. I was able to take trips with my law module class, the UL summer students, and then I also had trips with our CISabroad group, which consisted of seven students and then the coordinator. 

UL campus near foundation building

Dublin
Galway, near the beach

St Patricks Park in Dublin

St Colmans Cathedral in Cobh, im on the very right

Everyone in Ireland was very friendly and loved to chat, one popular question was where in the US I was from. They were very helpful because there were a few times when my friends and I had gotten a bit lost when we were out exploring the city on our own. The three-week summer program was the best choice for me because I was able to take an elective and it was also enough time to immerse myself in Irish culture but not long enough to where I had gotten homesick.

A picture taken while on the Ring of Kerry tour

Waterville, which was a stop while on the Ring of Kerry tour

 --

Accounting major Malia Martin spent the Summer 2022 term in Limerick with CISabroad with support from the Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/