| In Preparation |
Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Colosseum and Roman Forum, Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este, the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. Each of these are monuments to a time and place in which by human efforts the human race was able to create beautiful and powerful things. However, by transitioning from tourist to student, I have been able to find the small things about Rome, which contribute to its beauty in an equal amount.
First, as the days continue to pass, each new day on my walk to class I feel more at home in this Eternal City. I get unlawfully angry at tourists (of which I suppose I am one as well) who stand in the middle of the road staring at their phones, usually trying to find the Pantheon or Piazza Navona. I stop for my lemon-filled croissant and espresso, which will put a patch of hair on your chest if you didn't already have some. I still feel awe, but it has subdued substantially. Brock and I cooked dinner and no one died. It was a nice meal if I do say so myself.
| We were proud |
Second, our site visits during classes have shifted focus from the "main" attractions to the more specific, less popular places which are just as fascinating. In this post, I plan to incorporate an assignment for my Art History which I would have had to post on Facebook any ways. So, if art is not your cup-of-tea, this is where I bid you adieu.
In the last two class periods we have made the transition from Ancient Greek and Roman art and sculpture into the realm of early Christian art. We have visited Palazzo Altemps and Massimo, Ara Pacis, San Giovanni Laterano, Sancta and the exterior of Santa Maria Maggiore.
Palazzo Altemps and Massimo were both impressive collections of Roman sculptures. During our time at these fantastic museums, the facilities were nearly completely empty. This is very different from the "sardines-in-a-can" atmosphere of other museums such as the ones at the Vatican. In class, we had spoke of contrapposto--the idea of a torsion in the torso of a sculpted figure.
Going to these museums, we were able to see the progression from very static, upright sculptures in the Early Greek periods to the dynamic, conquering figures of the Hellenistic and Roman times. Similarly, we talked of the use of different "grounds" and perspective to give depth to some of the work.
In particular, the most famous sculpture (rightly so) of these two museums was a figure entitled Discobolos. It depicts a man in the process of throwing a discus. Due to the palpable nature of the sculpture, it seems as if the man is literally about to let go of the disc and throw it. In relation to my poor artistic talent (limited to stick-figures only), I was left in awe.
Also, in terms of the balance of the sculpture, since the man has both arms extended in "motion", the Discobolos is a literal balancing act which utilizes precision and skill in making sure the figure does not fall over. The Discobolos was one of the most copied figures in the ancient times due to the recognition that it took a true artist to balance all of the necessary elements at play. The following images showcase the changes over time in contrapposto.
| A brilliant use of depth |
These walls, again, were the prime example of the Roman's use of perspective to create depth in paintings. The walls of Livia's Villa depict a beautiful scene of nature, utilizing bright vibrant colors to showcase the realism behind the paintings. It is amazes me to think that this and similar brilliant uses of depth and color were all but forgotten by Christians, who favored flat, darker, one-dimensional art work.
| A bust of Livia |
| The Walls of Livia's Villa |
| As a Math major, these tessellations and space-filling curves were impressive |
Other symbols were established to represent various saints and patrons of the early Church. This use of language and iconography was seen in the Baroque sculptures at San Giovanni Laterano. Peter, with keys. Paul, with a sword. Bartholomew, with his own flayed skin. The traditions had carried to modern times.
On our way home, a friend and I stopped by Santa Maria in Trastevere to complete our assignment. We were told to look on the exterior for these symbols, specifically the Icthus and Chi Rho. We found the Chi Rho and were satisfied, so I left and got gelato.
| Facade of San Giovanni Laterano, one of the Papal Archbasilicas and the Seat of the Bishop of Rome |
| Bartholomew and Skin |
| Peter and Keys |
| Paul and Sword |
| Chi Rho |
| Anchor |
| Figure of a Bird |
Until next time,
Jacob Maestri
--
Read more from Jacob at http://ablogaboutrome.blogspot.it/
For more on the U of A Rome Center: Summer Campus, check out http://studyabroad.uark.edu/romecampus