Search This Blog

23 June 2016

Hands On Engineering in Belize #HogsAbroad #TBT

We went to Caye Caulker for the first weekend.
Hi! My name is Brittany Miller, and I will be a junior Industrial Engineering student this fall. I just came back from participating in the U of A Faculty Led: Global Community Development in Belize program, and I thought I should share a few experiences from my journey with you guys.

Week 1 in Belize

We flew 1.5 hours to Atlanta and another 2.5 hours to Belize City. We then took a 3 hour bus ride to get to Dangriga from Belize City.

The faculty and students stayed in three different hotels. I stayed at Pal’s Guesthouse.
We went swimming at a private waterfall on Monday.
The engineering team finished the first out of six picnic tables.
A few people from the engineering team helped paint the Red Cross building.
We also went to the Belize Zoo on our way back to Dangriga.
 

Week 2 in Belize


The engineering team finished and delivered all six picnic tables to primary schools around Dangriga.
The engineering team worked on the arches to honor Alejo Beni (the founder of Dangriga) at Alejo Beni Park.
We went to San Ignacio for the weekend.

week 3 in Belize


We continued work on the arches.

We got to meet the US Ambassador on World Oceans Day.
Our last day in Dangriga was Community Day.
--Learn more about the U of A Community Development in Belize summer program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/belize

Search for study abroad opportunities like these in over 40 other countries: http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search