Search This Blog

03 June 2016

arigatou gozaimasu! #HogsAbroad

The Japanese people that I have met these last few days are some of the kindest most giving people I have ever known. Our day began at Kiyo Gakko, a school for neglected or mistreated school children. This elementary and jr. high school was established to foster self-reliance and to prepare the students for entering high school. Nobuyashi-san (Ei-chan’s husband) is the person who introduced us to the school because he teaches English there as a retirement activity. When we arrived we were welcomed warmly by the staff of the school and brought to the gym for the program.

The program consisted of us helping the students practice their spoken English and singing English songs. Then the students gave a spectacular taiko drum performance. Taiko is Japanese for the heartbeat of your mother, and is very fun to watch and listen to. After their performance, they took the time to teach us how to play a song on the drums. The boy who was helping me was very patient and definitely enriched the learning experience.

After we left Kiyo Gakko we made took the train to Shoyeido to “make our own scent”. Shoyeido was really fun; we got to pick out ingredients and made our own sachets.

When we returned home to Kameoka some of us walked to Seiyu, Japanese Walmart, and bought breakfast materials. It seemed like a supercenter but also it didn’t. There was a much larger selection of fresh meats and fish, and a smaller selection of packaged goods like cereal. Not being able to read kanji characters also makes it difficult to shop. I couldn’t figure out which milk was whole and which was skim, so I just bought almond milk.

Our day ended at Nagata-san’s restaurant. He cooked us fried rice and all different types of meats. Special for me, he made food without soy sauce. I am so incredibly thankful for the hospitality and generosity the Japanese people have shown my friends and me. At Nagata-san’s restaurant we made paper cranes and were given each a set of handmade chopsticks and chopstick holders. “Dracula”, a former city councilman and friend of Stapp, who dressed up as a masked bandit and sang songs to us, also visited us. He also brought his wife, who dressed like Elsa, sang “Let It Go” in Japanese. This made me laugh because last summer in France Aude would always sing that song in French; I guess music really is universal.

Today especially reminded me of how grateful I am to be here in Japan, having a truly once in a lifetime experience. I have met so many people that have shown extreme kindness to me and I cannot wait to see what else this trip brings.

Arigato, Stephanie
--
To read more from Stephanie, check out http://stephsadventuresabroad.tumblr.com/
For more information on the U of A International Business in Japan program, see http://studyabroad.uark.edu/wcobjapan