Search This Blog

19 May 2016

Wednesday Week 1 #HogsAbroad

After arriving in Belgium, we came to our Hostel and had a lunch before we hit the city. We took a walking tour of Ghent with some university staff visited the city museum, STAM, and took a water taxi in the canal before our first Belgian dinner which, of course, included fries. 

On Monday we visited a vineyard in the west of Belgium and I learned the intricacies of growing grapes for wine production. I was especially surprised to discover the roots in the ground were not actually the same as the rest of the plant, and realized how much thought and planning were required to find the right grapes and root stock for your climate and soil type.
Monteberg Vineyard
Later that day we visited the city of Ypers and I toured the Flanders Field World War I Museum. This gave me an introduction to how we spent the rest of our day, as we toured many memorials and cemeteries and went to the Last Post at the Menin Gate. I was shocked to learn that the ancient-looking city had been nearly completely destroyed in the war and there were few buildings older than 1918.
Menin Gate



On Tuesday our lectures at the University began, and we heard about Sustainable Agriculture, and the specific challenges in the EU. We talked about solutions and the steps that were being taken, and we learned many differences between the US and the EU. Then we heard from the previous rector of Ghent’s Bioscience Engineering College, and he explained to us some of Belgium’s history and the education systems of Europe, Belgium, and Flanders (which is the region we are spending most of our time in.) 

This morning (Wednesday), we heard lectures on Plant Production in Belgium and the EU from Dr. Reheul and Genetically Modified Plants from Dr. Gheysen. I was particularly fascinated with the plant production lecture, and especially the subject of agro-ecology. It was interesting to find out that Ghent is the home of biotechnology and the first lab where genetically modified crops were made. This seems at such contrast with the European Union (and therefore Belgium’s) staunch stance against genetically modified foods. Gheysen was kind enough to elaborate more on this disconnect, and everyone was hopeful that there will be policy changes in the future, especially considering the amount of imported GMO’s that are on the market across Europe.

Later in the day we toured the Flemish Institute of Biotechnology. The Technologieparqe in which the VIB resides is virtually the Silicon Valley of Biotechnology. As I previously mentioned, there is not much of a market for genetically modified food crops in Europe, there is a lot of GM for other purposes. I learned that there are four major field in biotechnology: green, which deals with plants; red, which explores many solutions in the medical field; blue, which studies aquaculture; and white, which focuses on microorganisms and is especially related to biofuels. We heard a bit about each of them and I am especially enthralled with green biotechnology. I felt so privileged to see the labs and the many growing stations and greenhouses, and I know I would love to come back as a researcher.
At the Flemish Institute of Biotechnology



From our many excursions around Belgium, which is less than a third of the size of Arkansas, I have noticed several differences in the way of roadside views. There are many more, yet slightly smaller, windmills, and there are lots of solar panels in residential (even rural residential) areas. Also in residential areas I noticed that every backyard had a building in it, and many had greenhouses. I later learned that they were all toolsheds, and most everyone keeps at least a small garden. There are less signs and advertisements anywhere, and no billboards along the highways. I see many more people biking in the city than nearly any other mode of transportation. Ghent is a beautiful city and I have enjoyed my time here so much!
--
Read more from Jaden at https://jadentalley.wordpress.com/
To find out more about the U of A Faculty-Led: European Agriculture-Food Chain Sustainability program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/SUSTEurozone/