Search This Blog

20 May 2016

Iceland! #HogsAbroad





Hi!

I have started my summer adventures. I arrived in Iceland yesterday, and have been very busy. My first day I drove from the airport to Vik, making many stops along the way. Today I drove to Hoefn.
IMAG6473
Coast Line near Dyrholeay

It doesn’t get dark here this time of year- it just dims a bit at night. This gives us tourists more time to be out and about exploring. It’s 11 pm, and I’m sitting in a common room where the majority of people are just now sitting down to dinner.

Despite how many tourists are here, it still feels pretty empty. I am driving the Ring Road in a counter clockwise direction.

IMAG6573
Fjadorargljufur



There are times where I go miles and miles without seeing another vehicle. The stop offs along the road including picnic spots, view points, points of interest and activities are every few miles.

Last night I stayed at a B&B on a farm near Vik. It was surrounded by sheep and goats, all with babies! It was a lot of fun watching the youngsters play with each other. The place was awesome- it had man made caves on the property (which is a thing here), waterfalls and all of the food served for breakfast was produced on the farm.

IMAG6766
Hoefn
Tonight, I am in the “city”. I am staying in a small fishing town with a population just over 2,000 people in South Eastern Iceland. I walked around the main boating area earlier, and am all tuckered out!

Until next time!
--
Read more from Claire at https://hogtrailsandtales.wordpress.com/ 
To learn more about the SIT Study Abroad Indonesia: Community Nature Conservation in Bali, visit http://studyabroad.sit.edu/sn/programs/summer/summer-2016/abe/