Search This Blog

24 May 2016

Flanders-My summer home #HogsAbroad

When this internship was finalized, I was so excited for not only this incredible career boosting opportunity, but also the incredible history surrounding Belgium and Europe as a whole.  I really wanted to walk away from this experience with an understanding of Flanders and Flemish culture.

image
(Jaime Lannister heads to the hop filled village of Poperinge)
With that being said, I decided that my travels would focus around this beautifully cultured state. Something to note about Belgium is that the country is split up into three major parts: Flanders (the Dutch/Flemish speaking portion), Wallonia ( the French speaking portion), and Brussels (the “Washington DC” of the country).  Ghent is in East Flanders, and some other cities in the region include Brugge, Antwerp, and Oostend.  This was my first day to leave the city of Ghent, and it was the perfect day to take a 6km walk to the Abbey Sint-Sixtus- home of the famous Westvleteren beer.
(The charm of Poperinge is not quantifiable in a single picture. An absolutely beautiful, quiet town.)

imageMy journey started with a 6am wake up call in order to be at the train station and headed to the closest village, Poperinge, by 7:30am.  When I reached the town, I wandered to find someone who could show me the path to the abbey, and came across their square. At a local pub I noticed a large group gathering and decided to ask one of them for directions. I come to find out they are a fitness group that does long walks throughout the country. Their destination for the day was In De Vrede, the restaurant located right next to the abbey!
image
(The walking group consisted of roughly 50 people, along with one of the members Border Collie not pictured)



Francis, a native to the village over named Iepers, accompanied me as we discussed beer, Belgium, the United States, and Donald Trump (I think I have been asked about him by every Belgian I have held a conversation with!). Fun Fact: I told Francis i could not believe how expensive Coca-Cola was here. He noted that the country was getting a bit thicker, so a sugar tax had been installed.  Along the way, we passed by farms with chickens, goats, geese, ducks, and the occasional mini horse.  But my favorite part of this journey was the hop farms throughout the journey to the abbey.

image
(A typical hop farm layout)
After the hour long walk was over, we went inside to quench our thirst with the incredible beer this place is known for.  I started with the Westvleteren Blonde, paired with an incredible cheese from a French abbey, and later moved onto the Westy 12. The beer was everything you could ask for in a quadrupel- caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and became even better as it warmed up.  While I cannot say it is my absolute #1 beer ( Many people can attest that my list of favorite beers is never ending),  it was the epitome of what a quadrupel is suppose to be.
image
(Francis and I upon arriving at the abbey grounds and In De Vrede)






image
(The Abbey Sint Sixtus is rarely open to the public. Behind the man walking in front of the door, you can see one of the brothers in traditional Trappist monk attire)






image
(The legend itself- Westvleteren 12)



In a very lucky turn of events, the gift shop had six packs of Westvletern 12 for sale. Typically, the shop only sells one of the three beers at a time, and I was fortunate to come on a Westy 12 day. This was one of two beers I hoped to bring back to share with my American friends and family, and I am happy to say mission accomplished.  I grabbed my two six packs, and headed back to Poperinge on my own.
image
(Getting lost has been a usual occurrence this summer, but it always yields adventure)



I have every intention to revisit Poperinge and explore the town itself. For now, Spaz will protect the stash of Westy 12 to make sure it gets home to Fayetteville and Tulsa!

image
(Spaz, my beautiful Fiance and I’s sloth, will be ever watchful to ensure the beer makes it back to the states)



--
Read more from Ben at http://beninbelgium.tumblr.com/
Learn more about studying or interning abroad as a Bumpers college student at: http://bumperscollege.uark.edu/programs/international-programs/index.php