Search This Blog

27 May 2016

A Week of Land Yachting and Public Transportation #HogsAbroad

As our first week has come to a close I sit here and reflect on the exciting adventures. Throughout this week we have learned many new things about the culture of Belgium and different topics in sustainability. Our lectures have been very content rich, especially the organoleptic sensory panel. As the week came to a close and the weekend neared I was excited to see what Ostend had to offer. 

Approaching the North Sea we stopped to try out land yachting. Interesting enough it was challenging but fun. Arriving in Ostend there was a guided tour of the city where we learned about the history, culture, and night life. As the sun rose on Sunday morning we gathered our belongings and traveled to the "go cart" shop. These go carts were not like any regular go cart we entertain ourselves with in the U.S. They consisted of four wheels, five seats, 4 petals, and one functional steering wheel. Whoever invented these go cart bicycles were genius. My team had the best time riding around the city of Ostend learning facts and history through a scavenger hunt. 

We traveled from Ostend to Bruges via train. My experience on the train was fun. The ride is very smooth, cheap, and quick. In Bruges the shops and Belfort were the extent of my afternoon. The Belfort was rough climbing the 366 stairs to the top, but the view once we got there was amazing.

After the afternoon was finished, Gent was not too far away. I did not think I would ever be so happy to see the Hostel after staying in a very nice hotel, but I was. The rain throughout the day was inconvenient, but we managed. 

Seeing these new cities in Belgium has really opened my eyes on how similar but very different they are from Gent. Ostend and Bruges are very touristy each with their own unique history. They contain many souvenir shops as well as more English speaking people. They were all similar in a since that they close down around 17:00. This is typically because the stores and snack bars close for the night. This next week I am looking forward to the upcoming lectures and tours because they are outside of my discipline. In addition, I am excited about our upcoming free time to explore Gent.

XOXO
​Hailey
--
To find out more about the U of A Faculty-Led: European Agriculture-Food Chain Sustainability program at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/SUSTEurozone/