Search This Blog

02 May 2016

A Little Background #HogsAbroad

So, this summer I’m going to be spending 10 weeks participating in a service-learning program through the University of Arkansas Honors College. I applied for the grant last fall, thinking there was no way I was going to get it, but I might as well go for it, and turns out it worked and here I am 5 months later getting ready to spend 2 and a half months in Kayamandi Township, South Africa. I’ll be leaving May 19 (2 and a half weeks !!) and going with 3 of the most driven and sweetest gals I have ever met, all from the U of A.

Kayamandi is a township about a 10 minute drive from Stellenbosch, a university town and basically South African wine country:). Townships were created during the apartheid to separate blacks and whites, and many are still plagued by issues of poverty and unemployment. From what I have heard, Kayamandi is a resilient town despite it’s many obstacles and I can’t wait to spend my whole summer there.

I will be staying in a guest house in Kayamandi and sharing a room with one of the 3 other girls I am going with! I’ll be working in a crèche (basically a preschool) in the mornings each week from 9-12, lunch from 12-1, a short break, and then I will be working on a project to help fundraise for a new community pool in Kayamandi. Each of the four of us will be spearheading one project and my project is to create new curriculum or a program to be used within the crèche while I’m there and even after I’m gone.

I couldn’t be more excited to get started and immerse my self in Kayamandi and South African culture!
--
Follow Sammy on her journey at https://sammyinsouthafrica.wordpress.com/
Find out more about service learning projects available through the Honors College at http://honorscollege.uark.edu/current-students/service-learning.php