Search This Blog

01 September 2015

#HogsAbroad Student Blogger Spotlight: Danish Breakfast + French Press

Our #HogsAbroad student blogger, Meaghan, shared her first few days in Denmark:

My first week is officially in the books. We had an entire “intro week” where our groups took us around to see the city and had school sanctioned events. My favorite was the “western party” they held on Wednesday during which we were dressed as cows. I loved it so much because I had been very sad about missing rush and bid day, especially since it is my senior year. This whole party was held in a greek theatre at the school (much like bid day at home) and it was just as wild, if not more! We did other things like learn about the Danish culture, what to expect from classes and the basic do’s and don’ts we should while we’re here.




So far, everyone I’ve met has been awesome! That includes native Danes and exchange students. The thing about the Danes though is, even though they are super helpful and speak PERFECT English, they’re very reserved. It’s easy to understand why everyone thinks that Americans are “loud” because our culture values outgoing traits as opposed to shyness. It’s something to get used to if you ever visit Denmark; just because someone keeps it short and sweet doesn’t mean they’re being rude! They just answer your question and expect for you to be on your merry way. Makes sense right? Also, now that it has been pointed out to me, it is pretty hilarious that in American culture we ask “how are you?” as a greeting but really don’t even care what your response is. I think we do this just as a conversation starter, it breaks the ice and shows that you’re not in a tremendous hurry and willing to have a conversation with a stranger.


My first weekend here was AMAZING. I’ve already met so many dope people and got a little crew to do stuff with. They’re primarily from Canada or the US but we’re always trying to meet new people and natives!

About 100 yards from my apartment. I’ve died and gone to architecture heaven.
Now, I’m waiting to go to my first class (supply chain & sustainability) after I biked here. Another thing I love is the lifestyle is very active and integrated into the everyday. So watch out America, I’m gonna be SUPER fit when I come back.


waffle with nutella + french pressed italian coffee
me and my bike, bubbles.
Stay tuned, kids. xoxo

--
Read more from Meaghan at https://meaghanshus.wordpress.com/
To find out more about her exchange program at Aarhus School of Business in Denmark, visit http://studyabroad.uark.edu/exchange/wcobaarhus