It’s approximately 10:00 P.M Tokyo time as I am flying back to America. After leaving Fukuoka, I spent four days in Tokyo with my dad, which I thought would be the highlight of my month long stay in Japan. Instead, it was the swan song to the most wonderful most of my life. Every day, I could only think of all the friends I had made, and all the people I was leaving behind. One month in a foreign country is just enough time to make life long friends, but also just enough time to become devastated when you have to leave. I want to use this last post to show everyone the friends I made, and to encourage whoever might read this to study abroad.
I have only studied Japanese for 10 months, which in the grand scheme of things, amounts to little. But, I still went to Japan, because I knew that I might never get another chance. I want to thank the University of Arkansas, the Walton College of Business, and the Edwards for providing me with a scholarship that ultimately changed my life.
In Japanese, さよなら (sayonara) does mean goodbye, but it implies that you will either never see them again, or it will be years before you will next meet. I didn’t say さよなら to my friends, because I know I will return.
Here is to the cherished friends we have, and the ones we have to leave behind.
Thank you for reading,
Kendell David Black
--
Read more from Kendell at https://misadventuresinjapan.wordpress.com
Read more from Kendell at https://misadventuresinjapan.wordpress.com
To find out more about Japanese intensive summer programs, visit http://studyabroad.uark.edu/japanese




