Search This Blog

27 January 2022

Waking Up from the Dream #HogsAbroad in Spain


Before tonight, I had never seen a street performer attempt to play rock music outside the main cathedral in Valencia, Spain. It is not how I pictured our last group meal, but in an odd way, it is exactly what we needed. We’re leaving tomorrow, and all of us are acting weird now that it is almost over. Rachel is crying and laughing at different times. Nicole suggests dozens of ideas for what she should after graduating. Sharon cringes at the shrimp whose eyes are seemingly staring at her. I throw out question games so that we can learn more about each other before we board our planes. Maybe a last-ditch effort to soak it all in.

“Alright guys. Here’s the next one... How are you different now than you were when we first got here?”

We were all sure about this. Studying abroad changes things. Thousands of student blogs online describe new experiences and lessons learned. But what happens when real life hits once more? When you say goodbye to the community you built. When you begin to understand the languages around you again. When your plane lands back in your hometown.

My name is Danielle, and I studied in Valencia, Spain for Fall 2021. For three months, my routine changed completely. I built a new community; I ceaselessly planned weekend travel to other countries; and Spanish transformed from a side hobby to the whole reason I uprooted my life. You adjust, and you morph to new goals.

However, once I landed back in the states, I had to adjust again.

“How do you feel now that you’re home?”

Truthfully, my time in Spain had all felt like a dream. It was as if I had a hallucination for the past 3 months while everyone else’s life went on as expected. I had my souvenirs to prove my sanity, but I still felt like a tourist in my own bedroom.

Therefore, I would like to shake this blog up a bit. Rather than sharing more about my time in foreign countries, I would like to talk about how to make your study abroad last once you are home. How can your study abroad continue enriching your educational and personal life rather than solely acting as a fun memory?

1. Figure out what the experience did for you

Understandably, people may not be able to understand the experiences you have had, and no number of travel pictures will be able to do it justice. So, this is the time for self-reflection. What do you want to take away from this experience?

If you learned more about what you want your personal or professional life to look like, journal about those lessons and continue to apply them!

If you want to hold memories close, collect pictures, combine videos, or write blogs!

Basically, your lessons from study abroad do not end when you arrive back in the US. Continue to appreciate that time and apply new knowledge to old study habits or future career plans.

2. Keep up relationships

Those people that affected you while abroad did not disappear. They are a quick message away! Your American study abroad friends will understand adjustment issues you are having, and they will even be there to live up old memories.

For me, my old language partner adores the amount of holiday decorations that Americans put up in December, so she will be getting a picture of my Christmas tree soon on WhatsApp.

3. Continue practicing those language skills

This lesson is for my language learners out there. Keep practicing! Even if you are not living in a country that predominantly speaks your target language, continue practicing! Watch reality shows in Spanish, read a book in Chinese, text old friends in French. Make it part of your everyday routine and make it fun!

4. Be patient with yourself

Life might have changed back in the states while you were gone, and that is ok. You had weeks or months to adjust to life abroad, so give yourself time to adjust back to the states again.

5. Realize that you are constantly experiencing culture

We usually do not think about our everyday activities in Fayetteville, Arkansas as part of “American culture.” However, so many Spaniards were fascinated to hear about roaring football games, sitting in the sonic drive in, decorating gingerbread houses, carving pumpkins, and taking long road trips. There is still more to experience on your backdoor step! And now, you can see it all through a new lens.

I know that there is an ongoing stereotype of the study abroad students that return and cannot stop interrupting conversation with, “Well, when I studied abroad…” No matter the eyerolls that can come, I’m going to challenge you to embrace your study abroad experience. With a little trial and error, it will continue to serve you back in “normal life” if you let it.

It is time to figure out what that means for you.

--
Learn more about Danielle's USAC program in Valencia, Spain.

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/