Search This Blog

09 December 2021

It was for the Plot #HogsAbroad in Denmark

Blog post courtesy of the Honors College

My name is Mallory MacDonald, and I am a senior honors student double majoring in biology and psychology with a minor in statistics in the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. While that sounds like I should be going to medical school, studying abroad changed my trajectory. I took classes outside my comfort zone and fell in love with International Humanitarian Law. I will now be attending law school in my future.

There is this new phrase that I’m trying to add to my everyday vernacular. Kinda similar to YOLO, it goes something like, “It was for the plot.” Sadly, I stumbled onto this saying after I was back in the states on TikTok. However, it still describes my experience wonderfully.

To begin, this expression indicates that I have control over how I write my story. That’s exactly what I was able to do during my study abroad experience. This past summer, I took classes in Copenhagen, Denmark, through the Danish Institute of Study Abroad, or DIS for short. Originally, I choose this program in the Fall of 2019. The class that drew me in was called The Neuroscience of Fear. The program had added in a weeklong study tour to Munich, Germany where students were going to have a tour of Dachau, the first concentration camp. As a biology and psychology double major, this class was going to be an amazing opportunity. Due to COVID-19, I went during the Summer of 2021 when this class was no longer offered due to travel restrictions. This gave me my first time to change up my plotline! The class I took instead was Humanitarian Law and Armed Conflict. During the class, I thought maybe I would go into law as a joke; however, now, I don’t think it’s a joke anymore. I just took my first practice LSAT two days ago.

While I was in class for four hours a day (which felt like the biggest inconvenience), most of my day was spent exploring the city. I spent afternoons walking up and down Stroget, a walking street dedicated to shopping, in different museums learning about the history and culture of Scandinavia, or exploring castles. While roughly 40% of their workforce travels to work by bicycle, I decided to get a metro card. I made it a goal, though, to ride a bike at least for a full day to get as close to the experience as possible. One of my favorite days! The story starts when I mentioned to a classmate of mine that I wanted to ride bikes to a small fishing village south of Copenhagen. She wanted to come and invited a couple of her flatmates. From there, I rode 40 minutes on a bike to a town I didn’t know much about with people that I just met that morning. We ended that adventure by going to eat at Reffen. I have never had parmesan fries as tasty as these. Reffen is the largest street food venue in the Nordic! It sits right on the harbor with a wonderful viewpoint of the sunset if you stay late enough (the sun sets around 9:58 p.m. which also happens to be when the last bus leaves the area too). My roommate got a tattoo here. I talked to some Danish Royal Guards. Good food, good times, and a great place to make TikToks. I’ll end this story with some advice. Take the random classes. Invite the stranger. Try the food. Say yes (but be safe).
The second reason I use the “It was for the plot” expression is because it’s a positive outlook for when something does not go right. For example, your tour bus gets stuck in the sand – it was for the plot. You rent a car and make a wrong turn and end up somewhere you didn’t plan to – it was for the plot. One Tuesday, I planned to have a quiet night finishing homework. That was before some friends from the building walked in and asked if I wanted to jump into the harbor. How could I say no? The plot was going to be better if I said yes. Also, I just love the water. I changed into my swimsuit so quickly. There were about five of us that jumped in all at once. We quickly learned that the water was about 58 degrees Fahrenheit, a.k.a cold! After that experience, I soon learned that most Danes jump in on a hot day after they get off work (not at night after an average temp day).

Another aspect of my study abroad experience that I could not control was COVID-19. I was lucky enough to be one of the students to get to travel in 2021. The first five days that I was in Copenhagen were spent in quarantine in my flat. This gave me that opportunity to get to know who I was living with very well. I experienced jet lag during this time the most. I got the opportunity to see how another country dealt with COVID, how they loosened their restrictions and their attitudes towards the vaccination. COVID-19 has added to my study abroad experience. Before studying abroad, I heard of students traveling all around Europe on their weekends off, going to Paris, Barcelona or Amsterdam. It would have been amazing to get to travel to all those places. Instead of spending 48 hours traveling to and spending time in another county, I got to visit different cities and towns within Denmark. About a two-hour drive south of Copenhagen is a nature reserve called Mons Klint where about 30 DIS students went camping one weekend. Roskilde is about an hour and a half train ride and houses the Viking Ship Museum. During the week-long class trip, we went all across Denmark on the tour bus. During this week, I saw the second-largest city in Denmark, stayed a night in my teacher’s hometown, and went to a beach near the northernmost point of the country.

All in all, the stories that you remember most aren’t going to be the adventures that you planned for but the ones that you stumbled upon.

--
Learn more about Mallory's program in Copenhagen, Denmark with DIS.

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/