Search This Blog

30 July 2021

Community and Connections #HogsAbroad in Spain

Hi everyone! My name is Allison Primm and I am a rising Junior. I am studying International Business Marketing and Political Science. This summer I am studying abroad in Madrid, Spain! I am studying through an external program called CEA at La Universidad Antonio de Nebrija. At Nebrija I am taking classes in both Spanish and English. During the June term I took both Panorama of Spanish Literature and International Management. This month in the July term I am taking Advanced Spanish and International Marketing. My experience at Nebrija has been amazing and I absolutely love my classes and my teachers. One thing that has been particularly encouraging to me has been the understanding attitudes of my teachers. Though I have only been here a relatively short time, I have been able to develop close personal relationships with each of my instructors. All of them have shown me immense kindness and genuinely want me to succeed. They focus on creating positive learning environments in the classroom and they encourage participation and campus community through their teaching styles. This approach has helped me become more confident in not only my Spanish abilities, but also my interpersonal skills among my peers.
Before I arrived in Spain, I took a 2-part placement exam to help me enroll in the right courses at Nebrija. I would say that this exam was one of the biggest stress factors for me leading up to my arrival, however looking back, it shouldn’t have been. The teachers and advisors at Nebrija are all so helpful and kind. I was nervous for my speaking interview, but I relaxed so much once it began, and I realized that there was no judgement, and they were only there to help me. One of the biggest things I would recommend doing to prepare for a language placement exam is to practice speaking the language with a friend beforehand to get more comfortable with responding to questions on the spot. I would also recommend listening to Spanish music or podcasts or watching Spanish movies and TV shows so that you can get used to hearing the language. When I got here, one big adjustment that I had not anticipated was just the extra effort my brain was using towards listening to and translating the conversations I heard on the street or the announcements on the metro. Giving yourself time to practice listening to Spanish in your daily life will definitely help your transition.
Life in Madrid is different from life in Fayetteville of course, but the adjustment to a more urban setting was very easy for me. One huge help is the metro system in Madrid. The metro runs all around the city and can take you anywhere you need to go. It is very simple, clean, and safe. Within the first two days of living in Spain, I was navigating the metro and the city like a local! I was shocked by how easily I settled in to daily life once I got here. This is in huge part to the incredible kindness of the Spanish people. An integral part of Spanish culture is the focus on friendship and community. There were times where I was lost or confused and a total stranger came up to me and offered their help. This was surprising to me, as in many cultures, people tend to keep to themselves, but in Spain, it has been the people that I know the least who have helped me through some confusing times.
Another thing that helped ease my adjustment period was that I was connected with people in my program from the beginning, and I have roommates in the apartment I live in. This was crucial to navigating the first few weeks as I had people who could easily relate to me and go with me through the uncertainties. If you are interested in participating in a study abroad experience, I would encourage you to try and meet as many new people as you can. It may surprise you how much you have in common with people you never knew before. I am very thankful for this time I have spent abroad, and I look forward to keeping in touch with my new friends when we all return home!

--
International Business Marketing & Political Science major Allison Primm spent the Summer 2021 term at in Madrid, Spain with CEA with the help of the Honors College Study Abroad Grant & our Office of Study Abroad Scholarship.

You can start planning your adventure abroad today! Dive in to our Explore page at https://studyabroad.uark.edu/explore/index.php, and start your program search at http://studyabroad.uark.edu/search/