Search This Blog

01 September 2015

Meet One of Our New #HogsAbroad Peer Advisors!

Hello!

My name is Madison Wieters and I am so excited about being Peer Advisor for the Office of Study Abroad this year! I was born and raised in Dallas, TX and after graduating from Lake Highlands High School in 2013 I joined the Razorback family. I am currently a junior double majoring in history and political science. I still have no idea what I am going to do after I graduate… I just know that I am doing what I love. Every experience and opportunity you take throughout college are moments that turn into memories that can change your life. 

in front of Nyhavn Canal in Copenhagen
So far my study abroad trip to Copenhagen, Denmark has been dominating the charts of my life changing events. I got to visit four different and each so amazingly unique countries: Denmark, Poland, Sweden, and England. I endured a classically tragic bike accident that included two trips to the hospital, one plaster cast, and a free MRI. 


Post bike accident in the Frederiksberg Hospital  in Copenhagen


European Genocide class tour of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Krakow, Poland; pictured Torben Jørgensen, class instructor in front of collapsed crematorium
I ate more ice cream, or Lody in Polish, than my sweet tooth could have ever wanted. And I visited the mother land of my childhood – The Making of Harry Potter Studio – and cried about six… seven… more times than I should have. 


In front of the large scale Hogwarts Castle at the Making of Harry Potter Studio in London, England
My academic abilities were pushed into realms I had never imagined and I got to know myself a little bit better all along the way. It’s such a cool feeling knowing that there is a small city somewhere in the world that holds some of my favorite moments with people, who in such a short time, became some of my best friends. Copenhagen will always have a special place in my heart, and I can only hope to return one day to walk the familiar streets and greet the town like an old friend.

My wish is that anyone, and yes I mean anyone!, remotely interested in studying abroad takes a leap of faith outside of their comfort zone and goes for it. You just might let the world change your life.
~Madison