Search This Blog

24 June 2015

Learning Law in London #HogsAbroad

Yesterday, I went for a stroll through the central London and by stroll I mean a brisk pace to see every sight there is! I hit all the main sights that my feet would allow. The high points include: Big Ben/The Parliament Building, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, the Tower of London, and the Tower Bridge. My favorite had to be Big Ben and that’s not just because we share the same name. When I exited the tube, Big Ben was the first thing I saw. The architecture was extremely detailed, even for the naked eye. Just the sight of the clock towering over you was enough to send shivers down your spine.

Immediately to the right, down the road, is Westminster Abbey. It had equally astounding architecture. On the inside there was a sense of humility and reverence among the quietness. While there was a queue to see inside the abbey, I remember hearing nun asking a guard, “where do I enter?” He responded, “To visit or to pray?” The nun said, “to pray…” That conversation reminded me of the historical significance of this place, and the respect its worshipers held. The thought hit home when I noticed some writing on the front of the building. It read, “May God grant to the living, grace; to the departed, rest; to the church and the world, peace and concord; and to the sinners, eternal life.”

I then visited one museum that I found particularly interesting. It was the war rooms of Winston Churchill. In this museum I was able to retrace the steps of Winston Churchill during Britain’s darkest hours of World War II. It was in these steel and concrete-reinforced rooms that Winston Churchill and his war cabinet made some of the most important decisions of the war. It was amazing to discover how dedicated his staff was to him. Despite possible flooding from the Thames River, an influx of deadly gas, or destruction from the constant bombing above, Churchill’s staff remained loyal to both him and their country. 

I admire Winston Churchill because after the near defeat in the Battle of Britain he was able to rally the nation using only his words. He united the people in their darkest hour when he too thought defeat was imminent. It was this moment in his life that he reflected on past experiences. He said, “I felt as if I were walking with destiny and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial… I was sure I should not fail.” These words struck me as true for us all. Our past experiences and knowledge are useless if we ignore them when we are faced with our greatest trials. 
  
Learn some British:

“I’d fancy a…” = “I’d like a…”
Cheers = No worries/Take it easy
Queue = Line