Search This Blog

30 June 2015

#HogsAbroad Student Blogger Spotlight: Loving Work! Internship in Panama

One of our #HogsAbroad student bloggers had this update on her summer internship in Panama:

I have been working for Logistics Services (Panama) for a month and a half. I have already worked on some really great projects, and am hoping to finish up a couple more before I leave. In addition to the valuable work experience I am gaining, I also get to work with some great people!

My coworkers are really fun to be around and they are extremely helpful with learning Spanish. Most of them also want to learn English or improve what they already know, so it’s more like us teaching each other. Although I do have a handy online translator pulled up on my computer most of the time. Another interesting aspect has been watching the office transform during my time here. My first week we moved into a new facility.

It was pretty barren but is slowly starting to fill up. Last week the kitchen appliances arrived including an automatic tea kettle and a panini maker! I am hoping that I will get to try them out before I leave.

There is also always something happening at work. This last week was especially busy. On Tuesday, we hosted representatives from the United States Commercial Services department of the U.S. Embassy, here in Panama. And on Wednesday,  we had a Board meeting. Turns out, the mother of the man who is head of the Board, graduated from the University of Oklahoma! And one of the first things he asked me was “Where is your accent?”. Encounters like this really make me think about how small the world really is, and about how it just keeps getting smaller.

Hosting representatives from USCS!
But as small as the world is, there are countless things to do and places to see. However, this weekend I decided to take it easy and haven’t strayed too far from home. I went to the Plaza last night (small strip mall / restaurant area) and had dinner and am currently in a cafe sipping some coffee and watching the palm trees sway in the breeze.

I am excited for work (I feel like I say that a lot, but it’s true!) and can’t wait to get back to my projects!

--
Read more from Claire at
https://clairebeach9.wordpress.com/
To find out more about the http://walton.uark.edu/global/index.php