Search This Blog

14 May 2015

The Importance of Being Uncertain #HogsAbroad

I come to you today, dear readers, from my latest discovery: Oolong Flower Power. Think the most comforting room in your grandmother’s house, and then add the lingering, delicate smell of hundreds of jarred tea leaves racked up against the walls and the sound of unobtrusive chillstep music in the background. They have a plethora of gluten free pastry and sandwich options for a descent price, but today I was bent on getting a pot of black tea and writing. It’s only been a few sips in, but boy- this place is my new favorite haunt already!


Oolong Flower Power: you can just imagine the smell that three hundred jars of tea can create!
Now that I’ve satisfied my knee-jerk reaction to food blog, on to more complex subjects that what my stomach is demanding today.

I’ve been confronted with a dilemma lately that I believe many study abroad students may be facing during this time. It’s about 30 days out from my departure from Ireland and my return home. The mix of emotions is turning a different shade. I am experiencing a combination of homesickness, awe at how the time has flown, and encroaching panic that I have not exhausted all of my opportunities while here. This last one is the most terrifying of all. Lost opportunities, especially while abroad, can often mean that you never let your inhibitions and comfort zones be breached. I hope that many of my fellow international students would agree that this exploration outside our normal routines is the core attraction of study abroad, and to feel that you have not done enough of that can be nerve-wracking.

These thoughts have been lingering in the back of my mind for about two weeks now, brought about by the shrinking number of days on my calendar between today and June 2nd. I genuinely thought that my time in Ireland was quickly disappearing and to spend even another day without doing something new and novel would be a day wasted. Crazy sounding? Maybe. And acknowledged.

I finally got past this mental roadblock, but it took some time. I had to realize that running through Dublin, the rest of Ireland, and greater Europe could still be done, but not at the breakneck speed and intensity that I thought was required to have a good time. At this very moment I still have 32 days here. That month is already chock-full of a jaunt up to Copenhagen, two final exams at Trinity, a week in Portugal and Barcelona, and rounded off nicely with my mother and little brother coming to visit before we all fly back home. That, if I do say myself, is plenty. Plenty of time to be caught up in the bustle and motion of hostel-hopping travel, but also time to simply enjoy Dublin as just another member of its community adopted into the Irish ways and loving every minute, whether it is caught up in a crowd watching an impromptu High Kings concert in the middle of O’Connell Street or sitting here sipping tea. My time here is of the highest value, simply because I spent it in a way that is meaningful to myself.

I hope these words and my thoughts resonate with other soon-to-be-returning study abroad students. If our entire experience living an international lifestyle were smooth sailing with not a sign of doubt on the horizon, it would not be the challenge we have chosen to undertake. As John A. Shedd’s collection of sayings, “Salt from My Attic” put it, “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”

---

Colleen Boardman is a Junior in the Fulbright Honors College at the University of Arkansas, working her way towards dual majors in English and Chemistry. She is spending the Spring 2015 semester at Trinity College Dublin in Ireland. In addition to her college classes and researching her honors thesis topic, she is also exploring the culture of her new home by taking Irish language and dance lessons.