Search This Blog

01 April 2015

Public Transportation Works! #HogsAbroad

There are quite a few ways to get around while traveling abroad. Whether it be by bus, taxi (or Uber, I guess there service is abroad now?), or simply by foot.  While abroad, for long distances we had our own motor coach to navigate through the countries.  We mostly walked while in the city.  I highly advise walking in order to actually see the city.  You miss a lot when riding and people watching isn’t hardly as fun in a bus as it is walking down the sidewalk.  

While in London, walking and taking the subway was quite equal.  It was my first time ever using a subway service and it was exactly like I had seen in movies.  Luckily my rail pass was pre-paid in my program expenses so I didn’t have the stress of trying to figure out how to operate those ticket machines.  I boarded the train and it was just like the typical layout in New York subways that you see in movies.  It was intriguing and surprisingly nice riding on the “Choob” as they call it in London.  The route we were on most of time was called ‘Waterloo.’ The service is quick and it’s not too bumpy as I thought it would be.  It seemed like most people using the service were people headed to work and a few tourists here and there.  

Traveling from England to France, we had taken an overnight ferry.  I have never been on a cruise but that’s what it basically felt like.  There were people on board from all across the UK and other students on my program as well.  The ferry had a restaurant, bar, and even a dance floor.  We had a dance off late that night before going to sleep.  While in Belgium and The Netherlands we had our own motor coach but the best part of public transportation in those countries is biking.  Biking is really big there.  It was a great way to see the countryside.  It almost reminded me of South Arkansas.
All in all, public transportation was a great way to travel and see the countries.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience!  
--
Cordarius Enright, Study Abroad Peer Advisor